Any advice please ??

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Any advice please ??

Postby sharron » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi, I am new to this site, i was only yesterday diagnosed with having FM by my Rhumatologist doctor, and he has now discharged me back to my GP, i have an appointment with the GP on monday, and wondered if anyone could give me any advice on what to say to the GP, as i am not sure if he is going to be sympathetic.

I am already taking co-codamol30/500, tramadol, and diclofenac, although they dont help at all, they take the edge off sometime when i am having a good day. I used to be on amitryptaline, up until 2006, for depression, and am reluctant to go back on it, as i put on 3 stone whilst on it, is there any other medication i can use, as at the moment, i am not sleeping, can hardly walk, the pain is increadable.

Any adivce is welcomed.

Thank you in advance, Sharron xxx
sharron
UKFM Member

Re: Any advice please ??

Postby LinzWorld » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Info on the treatment of FIbro:

http://www.fibroaction.org/Pages/How-Is ... eated.aspx
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

Although the NHS info isn't perfect, it is particularly useful with doctors who don't like being asked to look at information or discuss options found "on the internet". If you ask whether you can try something that you read about on the NHS website it often comes across better. :)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Re: Any advice please ??

Postby junebenton07 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 am

Hi Sharron,
I too am like yourself, not sleeping, but that is a fibro thing, just sleep for a couple of hours a night, not good!!, the pain keeps you awake too i,m afraid. You're at a loss at what to do to get that rest and nothing seems to work. Like you i have terrible trouble walking, now use crutches, although i have now been supplied with a wheelchair through the NHS wheelchair people, got this through my GP, but i have heard you can self refer, its free of charge, you don,t pay for the chair, and they keep the maintenance up on it, also they do what they call a voucher scheme, maybe worth you looking into that, makes you that little more independent, you can have the chair for as long as you need it, no time limit. Unfortunately for me i have had to go the next step and apply for a mobility scooter because my right side has become very weak and i can,t always manage the chair, just too painful. I got the scooter through the motability scheme, although you do have to recieve the higher rate mobility allowence.
I do hope you find a way to help you, fibro affects us all in different ways, i,m glad i found this site because i,ve found out all my answers to problems my GP has dismissed and sent me away for.
I don't know if anything i,ve written is of any help to you, but i wish you the best of luck in whichever help you might get.
Best wishes,
June xx :hugs:
junebenton07
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services