Learning to live with pain

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Learning to live with pain

Postby roxichik » Mon May 17, 2010 12:46 am

Hi
I have FM, sjogrens and FAI (hip problem).
At first my Doc was really supportive and tried me on all the different drugs. I ended up taking lots of Oxycodone but the pain was not going away and my life became very small.
I am housebound and live alone but have carers but I am very happy and suprisingly content.
I call in my repeat prescriptions and Boots delivers them. One day no Oxy was delivered. I called to chase it and was told that it had been sent to Boots. Boots said they never had it. After many calls my Doc got on the phone and accused me of lying and trying to get drugs by deception - he said he would call the police if I persisted and I would get no more drugs unless I got off my back-side, pulled myself together and came into the surgery. Through my tears I tried to explain that, as he knew I was unable to leave the flat and could he come to me to sort this out. He said no and put the phone down.
I called social services and spoke to my care manager and explained what had happened. She called my Doc and he showed up on my door step within 20 mins. I got no apology but when he saw me (white, shaking and 3 stone lighter than the last time he had seen me) he calmed down a bit. He said the drugs thing was just a misunderstanding and he would change my dose.
What he should have said 5 years ago when he started treating me, was that I can never be pain free with FM, sjogrens etc. If he had said this, I would not have popped so many pills unnecessarily. Within a week of his visit, I had weened myself off the Oxy and only take 80mg of Targinact per day now.
I know I will be in a lot of pain everyday, but knowing gives me power. I do swear a lot but research shows this helps with pain management!! I also use breathing and meditation to calm me when the pain is at its worst. No I am not some new age hippy and I would never advise anyone else on medical matters but I would say to all those with FM, pain will be your constant companion. You just need to find your way of coping.
I have not "bothered" my Doc since he accused me and only contact the surgery when I need a repeat prescription. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful care manager at social services who helped me through this awful time. I just wanted to share this with others so they know that if they are in pain, they are not alone.
roxichik
UKFM Member

Re: Learning to live with pain

Postby shazq » Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 am

Sorry to hear that you were treated that way, it should never have happened in the first place.
I would have changed my doctor.

Happy you are now coping and are off some of your meds. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 am

What a terrible thing to say to you, I'm glad you have found ways to cope and are feeling better but I'm with Shaz on this one. I would have reported him to the General Medical Council and changed to another doctor :evil:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby roxichik » Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks Guys
As you all know there is no cure so I really don't see the need to move Docs and I think he was told by social services to behave.
You lot are a much better tonic than any Doc could prescribe anyway!!
Thanks again x

PS. Just found out I have now got high rate DLA for both care and mobility (social services filled in my form for me).
roxichik
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon May 17, 2010 5:11 pm

roxichik wrote:Thanks Guys
As you all know there is no cure so I really don't see the need to move Docs and I think he was told by social services to behave.
You lot are a much better tonic than any Doc could prescribe anyway!!
Thanks again x

PS. Just found out I have now got high rate DLA for both care and mobility (social services filled in my form for me).

I am glad something good as come out of the treatment you went through. :hugs:
I did not know S.S help fill out the forms.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby roxichik » Tue May 18, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Shaz
I have been pleasently suprised by my local social services and Care Trust.
From the first time I contacted them when I lost my job due to FM, they have been very supportive and seemed to be they only ones who wanted to help me.
They organised my OT, helped me get Care, fill in forms etc. When I was assessed by the FAB team, they guided me so I got the most from the system. They stood up to my Doc for me (I was too weak and tired and he saw that) and made sure I did not miss out on anything.
I do think that I have been very lucky compared to some of the FM sufferers.
I always thought that SS were on the side of the Gvn't and I think they are mean't to but the ones that visited me were also human beings. They saw that I was alone and struggling to accept my limitations.
They wrote to the DWP for me more than once to back up applications and of course they knew exactly what to say, unlike me.
I filled in a form to say I did not need any help (I thought I did not deserve it) but they knew I needed a lot of help so rewrote all my answers as they saw me and due to this I got the high rate DLA care and mobility.
I just wish they could help everyone in my position.
roxichik
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services