unsure

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

unsure

Postby coral » Thu May 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Had an appointment today for my first physiotherapy. Didn't do anything just she asked me loads of questions for about an hour. She said that I need de-sensitizing? She said Fibro is hard to diagnose and can take years to find out so but said "I'm not saying its an imaginery symptom". She says that I do have chronic pain as I've had it since Dec 08 and wants me to go to a pain management clinic so I will control the pain not the pain control me!!!!!

If anyone has done this can they let me know what happens and how I eventually control the pain? Sorry its short but just leaving work and have to catch my bus.

any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
coral
UKFM Member

Re: unsure

Postby *Lisa* » Fri May 28, 2010 10:03 am

:wave:

Physio's are like GP's they have there own personal views and opinions so if you wasnt happy with the outcome ask for another physio...

Im guessing on the d-sensitising as she cannot work on your body until your pain is some what died down and controlled?????
Many people cannot tolerate a physio touchin them as there very sensitive and in just too much pain hense why she mentioned goingto pain clinic first...

Pain clinic will do a pain management plan for you and see what medication/therapies are suitable for your symptoms.

I have had physio for years but my GP controls the medications so i have not yet been to pain clinic....
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Re: unsure

Postby LinzWorld » Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Pain management clinics can be great for teaching coping skills, something they've pushed more and more in recent years, because so many people with chronic pain (e.g. low back pain) can't get their pain treated through medications, so need to learn to manage it without making things worse (e.g. through exercise avoidance). Some of what they teach isn't applicable to Fibro, as Fibro can be treated through medications and has some factors that need to be addressed for long term improvement, but much of it is great as long as you realise that it is all coping strategies and management, not treatment.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services