Got my Rhumy apt Monday - finally! really need a result!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Got my Rhumy apt Monday - finally! really need a result!

Postby Charlee » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:43 pm

I finally have my Rhumy apt on Monday, i have been waiting for 4 months since referal from my GP. The last rhumy was terrible, he laid me on the bed grabbed my knee bent it backwards (i am extremely hypermobile) and said 'well no wonder your in pain....' that was it, he put my fatigue down to having 2 children!

Anyway this time i am seeing someone else, he is a guy i saw when i was a really little kid and he was really understanding then so im hoping he will be this time.

Things have got so bad here, my wrists have lost all strength and are in agony, i can barley pick up my children and i nearly burnt my kitchen down last week when i dropped a candle when my wrist gave way, i have numerous burns and scols from hot drinks and saucepans.
My legs are so bad some days i cannot walk, in fact all i CAN do is sit and cry while my dear sisters do everything for me.

The last thing my Mum did before she died a few months ago was sit in my GPs office and demand they did something to help me, then she died during and operation so im carrying on for her and me alone untill i get some help.

The major problem at the momet is that i live in an upstairs flat, most days i cant get out of it as the stairs are just to much. I at least need a letter from this rhumy to support my housing aplication with our council.

Is there anything i can do or say to make the Rhumy take me seriously? Any help youd be great guys. Thanks. x :needhug:
Charlee
UKFM Member

Re: Got my Rhumy apt Monday - finally! really need a result!

Postby shazq » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Charlee
So sorry to hear about you losing your mum. :hugs:

My Rhumy did not do to much to me, i had seen him 6 months previously to see if i had arthritis, he just moved my legs and arms around and said i did not have arthritis.
Skip 6 months, he pressed his arms between my shoulders and asked if it hurt, i think the ouch should have given it away. :roll: I was told i had fibro he gave me a leaflet and i was told to go home and read it to get my head around it.

So cant give you any advice, just make sure you have all your questions to hand, write it all down before you go so you get answesr to your questions.

Good luck. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 am

So sorry to hear about your mum Charlee, I would do as Shaz says and write everything down because as soon as you get in there everything seems to go put of the window, the other thing is could someone go with you as I always come out and forget anything they have said to me :crazy:

They write a report back to your GP so hopefully it will mention your housing situation. You can ask that you receive a copy directly. Hope it all works out for you, good luck :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tireesix » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:53 pm

I used to write lists etc to take to appointments but I found they don't work, yeah it helps me remember stuff but the docs will often say 'we will work through it a few things per appointment' and its a nightmare.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, what I now do is right a full on letter explaining everything I can remember about how I feel, how I am affected, pain levels, when symptoms started, what helps, what doesn't, medication lists for what I have tried and what works/doesn't work. I then give it to the Doc to read through, I say 'look, its easier if you just read this', they are usually very receptive to it and more importantly, the whole damn thing goes in your file so they ALWAYS have a reference in your words.

My pain management Docs have been particularly receptive and have even said they have found it very helpful in deciding how to move forward because they can see what works and what doesn't and they can see just how bad it gets......... Sometimes, it will take about a week for me to get a letter together but it has always been worth it so far!
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby magsroe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:02 am

like yourself i live in an upstairs flat its a nightmare . i have been in touch myself with my local social work dept as the doctor was reluctant to do it . they came out and assessed me for differant things . the first thing they done was put banisters up in the buiding comunal stairway to help me . then a few months later the main OCT came out and said they would have to put one up the other side aswell . she actually came out to look at putting a shower in for me but said that my flat was unsuitable and that she would contact my local housing dept which she did . they inturn sorted out all the paperwork and as i had already been seen by an OCT they did not need to do anything they put me on a list for mobility housing that was in march im still waiting but they are considering me for a main door house as we speak . so fingers crossed.
magsroe
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services