Appt today with consultant

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Appt today with consultant

Postby hazelairedale » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi, I've been reading various articles on this site for months now convinced that I had Fibromyalgia. I finally attended the rheumatologist today and he doesnt think that I have Fibromyalgia at all. He said that I only had 2 tender spots. The thing that puzzled me though was that he tested me through my work tunic and vest top, I thought he would have pressed on my skin etc. He has taken blood tests and xrays of my cervical and lumbar spine and feet to rule out any other rheumatic condition I think. He kept saying that Fibromyalgia always comes with IBS and I suffer from constipation mainly. My other symptoms are hypothyroidism,GORD, Hiatus hernia, pelvic pain which is being checked out next week as problem with my left ovary, morning stiffness, unrefreshed sleep, urinary incontinence and frequency, all tests negative from urology, tender spots when I press them!!! consultant says prob my underactive thyroid causing all the problems and my job as a podiatrist. I'm at my wits end! Maybe its a case of ive read too much about Fibromyalgia and convinced myself that I have something I dont, I also have sensitivity to smoke, chemicals etc. Maybe I'll get a different Rheumatologist the next time as I felt the one today didnt put much effort into the tender spot exam. Has anyone else had problems with their initial consultation?

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Re: Appt today with consultant

Postby denys » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

poor you Hazel, you have a few options, one is to wait for the results of all the new tests to come back and then depending on the results query the diagnosis or go back to your GP and ask to be referred to someone else, but I think they will probably advise waiting!! Good luck with it all I hope things sort themselves for you :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hazelairedale » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks denys, Its not that I want to have Fibromyalgia either its just that it would make sense if you know what I mean. Everything fits, when I started reading about it I thought, thats me exactly. At least they will see me again in 3 months.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 am

Here's some info on the tender point test. It is often performed badly.

http://www.fibroaction.org/Articles/Exp ... -Test.aspx

IBS can be constipation dominant, so I don't get that point.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby hazelairedale » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for that link, it was great to read that. The only tender point I dont seem to have is either side of the windpipe. I'll see what they say in 3 months.

Hazel
hazelairedale
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services