So fed up

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

So fed up

Postby coral » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:20 pm

I finally went to see an Orthopaedic consultant today after waiting since March. Thought I would get some answers today but didn't which is not surprising. He told me its quite normal to have 2 prolapsed discs at my age (49) and wear and tear of the lower spine. Yep I can accept that, had prolapsed discs before so I know the pain. He asked me where my pain is so I told him that its in my hips, legs ache, pain in shoulders, neck, upper back, chest pains. He said that the pain from the prolapsed discs would not cause pain behind my right ribs and upper back so he;s now going to refer me back to the Gasterentologist who referred me to the Ortho Dr last March. I told him that one of my GPs says that I have Fibromyalgia and that I've been taking Amitriptyline for 3 months for the pain. He said "you don't have Fibro because you don't have pain in your joints". From what I've read Fibro attacks the muslces not the joints? Am I right?

He asked me how long I'd had back problems for and I told him since I was about 15 or maybe younger. Told him that I'd fallen off a swing from a good height and landed on my back. I also told him that as a young child my mother was forever calling the Dr out as I used to have terrible pains in both my legs. They used to call it Rheumatic in those days. The Dr just laughed and said "that was when you were little, now you're a fully grown married woman with a teenage son". So that just made me feel so stupid for having said it.

I will probably have to wait now another couple of months to see the original gastro speciailst who will probably refer me onto someone else. He was a nice Dr though (the gastro not the Ortho) so maybe he will listen to me more when I see him. Still wonder if I would be better off paying privately though to see a Rheumy. Just so fed up of it all, not getting any answers and it makes me feel like I shouldn't bother with the Dr's just put up with it. Oh he did say that it might be something to do with my liver because of where the pain is.

Sorry to rant but its just all so frustrating.
coral
UKFM Member

Re: So fed up

Postby denys » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Coral, sorry you didnt get any answers, it is frustrating all the waiting for an appointment for it to fall flat round your ears :banghead: :banghead: doesnt sound as though he knows much about fibro though does he anyway heres some :hugs: :hugs: hope you get sorted soon x
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:12 pm

You rant all you want coral, thats what we are here for, sorry you did not get any answers :hugs: :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

It's so frustrating when you know there something wrong and you get pushed from one medic to another.

It took me 15years to get diagnosed but haven't had much help since.

Hope you haven't got to wait too long for your app. :hugs:

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm

:wave:

Fibro is muscular not joints although the muscles get so stiff and gel together that they restrict the joints causing pressure and pain.

You need to see an Rhumatologist to confirm FM and they can do the trigger point test and many bloods to rule out anything else to see if its fibro...

Failing that ask the GP or ipay privatly and see if u can be refered to a physiotherapist they can also help and see if they feel you may have FM
Chiropractor also...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby angela.johnson65 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:22 pm

hi coral

I remmber when i was diagnosed with fibro, it was about 10 years ago now, Id gone to my doctors for what seemed like the 100th time, i remember sitting there crying and saying to him that i felt like i was going nuts and that sometimes i felt like i wanted to stab my partner because i just didnt understand why i had all this pain and there was nothing wrong with me. My doctor calmy sat there and looked up at me (because i was standing over him with a pretend knife in my hand saying i wanted to stab my partner) and said you do know you have fibromyalgia dont you.

i sat back down and said what the hell is fibromyalgia, he gave me a leaflet and said read that, apparently he had diagnosed my condition but had forgot to tell me, even though he had been treating me for it for a few years by then, he may have had it though (brain fog, he must have forgot he hadnt told me)

i walked out of that office a different person i felt like a ten tonne weight had been lifted off my shoulders because i finally knew what it was. i dont get that bad now ( wanting to stab my partner because he doesnt understand) lol
angela.johnson65
UKFM Newbie

Postby budda » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Yes Angela, I know what you mean, a weight been lifted of your shoulder, to know, you are not going crazy :crazy:
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services