Osteopath

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Osteopath

Postby Dawnie Marks » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi. Has anyone had experience of going to an osteopath. I am in pain with FM but was advised at the support group to try an osteopath. I am in so much pain now and was for a few days last time. The osteopath says this is normal but I am just wondering whether it is going to be worth the pain in the end :(

Thanks

Dawn x
Dawnie Marks
UKFM Member

Re: Osteopath

Postby stephanini » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:54 pm

although i havent tried it myself, i have heard people say that it will provide some kind of relief for as long as you have it, but as soon as you stop, you will just go back to how you was before...i think to make a difference you will need to do it regularly if it works well for you
stephanini
UKFM Member

Postby Dawnie Marks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 am

Thanks Steph. I think you may be right and the cost is going to be a lot if it is going to be a regular treatment. The pain after treatment is too much to cope with. I think I will give it 1 more go then call it a day.

I do believe in trying new things but don't think this one is going to work out

Dawn x
Dawnie Marks
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 am

Hi

I've had physio on my back. Not sure what's the difference between physio and oestopath.

When I had physio in 2004 they worked all my muscles for about a minute and it really helped. However I had it again in 2008 and it was like torture. I literally had teeth marks in my fingers where I was biting myself to stop myself from screaming. Was in agony for days after. Went 2nd time and he only worked one spot for about 10 mins. It was too painful

after about 5 sessions I said it was helping and didn't want to come again, he agreed. They were both through nhs.

I think if you get a good physio who knows how to treat you it would help. The first one only did one muscle group for a minute which is enough when your in agony. Once she did all my muscle group if there was time she would start again.

I'd love to be able to pay for some more, but can't afford it long term but mostly scared of gettin a physio like the second one.

Hope you get some relief from it soon

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby bronnie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:22 am

Hi Dawnie,

I have used my long term Chiropractor and, although the pain often improves for a while after the initial soreness of the treatment has gone, I don't think it has any great long term benefit to FM. The main benefit for me seems to be that she straightens me out ( I have a twisted pelvis) and this enables me to walk more evenly and then that doesn't aggravate the FM. I wonder of some of the manipulative treatments make us feel better just because we are "having something done to us" and that is encouraging. My chiropractor is a lovely lady and I have been seeing her at intervals for the last fifteen years. I think it is her kindness that is as beneficial as the treatment if I am honest. Probably if someone just stroked me(in the same way as I used to stork the dog) it help me just as much !!
Hope you will find something that helps you.
Best wishes, Bronnie. :wave:
bronnie
UKFM Member

Postby stephanini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 am

Dawnie Marks wrote:Thanks Steph. I think you may be right and the cost is going to be a lot if it is going to be a regular treatment. The pain after treatment is too much to cope with. I think I will give it 1 more go then call it a day.

I do believe in trying new things but don't think this one is going to work out

Dawn x

The cost would be a ridiculous amount to pay for little or no relief...maybe try and get some physio through your GP on the NHS and see if they can do anything to help...there are lots of different approaches to physio (untra sound, gentle massage, heat treatment etc etc ), so you may be able to find something that is beneficial, that you can have once a week (for example) to get you from one week to the next...without costing you anything :dunno:
stephanini
UKFM Member

Postby TechieGuruNerdyGeek » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I used an osteo for about 6 years, but tbh, a good massage was all I was getting out of it. After an x ray found a slight kink in C5, she told me she wouldnt manipulate my spine any more.

I kept going while I lived in that area, havent been to one for 2 years, but my new partner gives a very good massage so Im as sorted as I ever was.
David Harris
"TechieGuruNerdyGeek"
http://www.nenevalleyfms.co.uk
TechieGuruNerdyGeek
UKFM Member

Postby lad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 pm

I have seen an osteopath on and off for several years for various ailments such as frozen shoulder, sciatica, tennis elbow, etc, and it was actually my osteopath who suggested to me that I might have FM, after listening to my ever growing list of aches and pains!

He even wrote to my GP on my behalf, suggesting that I be referred to rheumatology, as I'd mentioned that my GP had been very dismissive of my aches and pains when I tried to talk to him about them.

Anyway ..... the point I'm trying to make is this. At no point has my osteopath suggested that he could do anything to help with my FM-related aches and pains. I'm pretty sure that, if he thought he could do anything to help, he would have offered to do whatever was needed, whether it be massage, manipulation or whatever.

In my opinion, therefore, osteopathy won't help with FM general aches and pains, but should be used for specific conditions such as those mentioned above (and no doubt many more besides!).
lad
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services