Flupirtine

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flupirtine

Postby kerrie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Does anyone have any experience of this medication?

I have seen Prof Davies who suggested this medication, its just been regulated by this country but has been used for 20 odd years in Europe and is giving goos results for FM sufferers.

I wonder if anyone has any experience of this? Ofcourse its unavailable on the NHS so have to pay for it and I am unsure whether to try it or not
kerrie
UKFM Member

Re: Flupirtine

Postby denys » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:36 pm

Sorry Kerrie I have never heard of it, but lots of people speak highly of Prof Davies so if he is recommending it and you can afford it, could you not give it a whirl. You can always stop if it doesnt work :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Quackers » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Good luck Kerrie
Just googled it:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flupirtine
and guess what :clap:
It is currently under a clinical trial (recruiting phase) as a treatment for multiple sclerosis.[4] and Fibromyalgia[5] in the US.
I hope it helps. Seems you have hit gold with your consultant :clap: :clap:
Go gal and let us all know how you get on :lol:
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby tjt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm new here, have had fibro for years but only properly diagnosed 4 years ago. Also have polyarthritis (RA and OA). Had palindromic rheumatism for decades but it petered out and was replaced by fibro (not a good swap. I'd have the PR back instead if I could!).

I am on flupirtine (called Resochin here in Germany). It is supposed to help with my sleep problems -and sometimes it does. Lately I have been trying taking it really early in the evening and I think that is helping. Just saw my rheumy today and he wants me to stop taking the painkiller (paracetamol and codeine) that I use for headaches as he says the combination with flupirtine is bad for the liver. He suggested aspirin instead, but added that in the quantities I take painkillers aspirin would be bad for the stomach! Sigh... ever had that 'no-win' `feeling?
tjt
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Oh often TJT :welcome: to the forum, glad you've found something that is giving a little relief :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tjt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:45 am

Got the name wrong. Katadolon is the name for flupirtine here, not Resochin which is a DMARD (for RA). Fibrofog rules...
tjt
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services