Debility

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Debility

Postby Helen Marie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:43 pm

I have had such a bad few weeks and have lost faith in all medical people!

The flare up this time is really bad, and for the first time i have experienced really tight chest and this has caused me some anxiety resulting in pins and needles and dizziness. An episode of this happended whilst i was driving and i thought i was going to die (melodramatic i know). so I ended up in A &E where they told me to get more help for my fibro and put my episode down to indigestion resulting in panic attack.

Next day i returned to Neuro for appt i had scheduled. explained the pins needles, some areas of permanent numbness, neck pain, bladder issues, muscle spasms, shakes, stiffness .. you're getting the picture. Neuro said is def migraines and fms. told me to stop taking the codrydamol prescribed to me the prev week by gp. Neuro referring me for MRI neck, EMG test, pain clinic, physio and pain counselling.

Back to docs next day, told her i cannot take the codrydamol she demanded to know why? said i didnt know but i only take one tablet and it knocks me out for several hours. she said cant possibly do this as one tablet is merely a childs dose and wouldnt touch my big toe. Nevertheless i said, it knocks me for six. she proceeded to write prescription for cocodiene, i said no, it makes me throw up. total disbelief, shrugging of shoulders and big sigh ... 'well i dont really know what else to do'. I suggested trying amytriptolene again just to see if i could break this cycle, she said no cos im on the cipramil. so take me off the cirpramil i said, no because its doing you good. so she gave me diclofenac 50 mg x 3. and then wrote me a sick note for 2 weeks ..... saying debility!!! so now i am 'week and feeble'.

since then, thru research i have realisd that the tight chest is due to my sore ribs and learned a few stretches which are helping, so do the diclofenac to be fair. i have stopped the codrydamol by myself and found that the periods of panic have subsided. I just feel so misunderstood by everyone, i have got up today and was in agreat mood, wanted to tackle the workld, but my body wont let me. this is not me just being lazy and fed up surely? I have cleaned, put some washing in, vacuumed and mopped, all with breaks in between. now i am shaking and holding the back of my head up with my hand. theres more i want to do but i cant. sorry just having a negative day and needed to get it off my chest. worrying about work, dont get company sick pay, worried about money, my kids need some entertaining, i feel so guiltyfor not being a proper wife and mum, yet i constantly keep going and trying and looking for cures. but being labelled weak and feeble sucks.

there, i said it, off my soap box now, thanks for listening folks x :banghead:
after 9 years of FM .... you'd think I would have the hang of it by now :s
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Re: Debility

Postby missusc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:03 pm

hi helen marie

this is my 3rd month of work now, like you have numbness and tingling in feet, shoulders, arms and hands. did some housework, bit by bit and come afternoon, boy do i pay for it. i'm on tramadol and paracetamol for pain, which takes the edge off, never gets rid off it.

my gp is good, i can trust her to listen and we decide next step to take in referrals and meds. do you think another doctor might help?

fm is frustrating as there is not one specific ailment to tackle, but various ones which seem to set off new ailments.
hang on in there as you will get some relief, when the meds are right for you.

take care

missusc :wave:
missusc
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi Helen Marie, sorry to hear you are suffering so much and wish there was a magic cure :hugs: :hugs: If you aren't happy with what your GP has put on your sicknote ask her to clarify what she means. Is there another doctor you can see in the practice as you dont have to put up with dismissive GP's, if not perhaps its time to look for a sympathetic GP in another practice. Keep your chin up and remember even when you get up feeling OK, you have to pace yourself otherwise you'll run out of energy (read the spoons thread) and end up feeling worse :yikes:

Sending you :hugs: and some :flowers: hope things settle down soon for you :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Hello!

Postby sjc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:02 am

Hello, everyone. How are you today? Hope ur feeling better...Yes, I know how ur feeling with having FM. Its a very complex and horrible disability - I woudlnt wish it on my worse enermy...I have day where I cant go out the house but when i do i can only do a short distance or rely on family support. So i can why some of other sufferers get depressed or angry with the condition. Anyway, you take care. Xx :D :welcome:
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby piglet_mini » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 am

Hope u r feeling brighter today? Xx
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby Helen Marie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 am

Hi all, thanks for your enouraging messages and support. :wave:

Thinks seem to have calmed down a little now and I dont feel so anxious. I have another week off work left and am trying very hard to get myself back on track, am doing some stretches daily even though they hurt and my head wooshes everywhere afterwards, i am using magnesium supplements, glucosamine gel on my neck, going to try and get a stretchy bra to wear cos my ribs are still very very sore and my usual ones hurt too much. i am going to try a gentle stroll today. and i tried driving a short distance on saturday with hubbie in car, i got pins and needles all down one side but didnt panic. gonna try again this week.

Am really fed up with my boss. there's only two of us in the office and i understand me being ill puts a huge strain on things. thing is; the company became a limited company and he introduced an introducer to the business ... on the day he went on holiday for two weeks :yikes: therefore for two weeks i suddenly had to work full time instead of my 25 hours, taking and fetching my kids to childcare due to school hols :sleep: , dealing with compliance issues due to the introducer, and the change over of company status, plus managing the office. to say i was dumped on and stressed was an understatement. then boss returned, and started telling me stuff that i hadnt done even though i readily explained that i just hadnt had the time to do everything! he has been difficult, and last week he text me asking me to have the phones for an hour cos he had an appt he couldnt cancel, so i said yes ok, i got up feeling doped up and wondering how i could answer the phones without slurring, then an hour before he was due to divert the phones, he text me saying all sorted doesnt need me now. now he has put status on facebook saying to his friends ' sorry i cant be there this week .. enjoy'. he hasnt paid me for the time off sick, yet i feel the stress he put me under caused this 'meltdown'. i know i have to get over this :roll:

Anyway, i was just wondering, seeing as the meds the docs gave me either knock me out (co drydamol) :sleep: or give me the worst tummy issues ever and dont even work (the diclofenac) .. whether anyone has tried glucosamine tablets???? also, i accidentally forgot my cipramil yesterday and slept better last night. i was wondering if anyone has any bad side effect with this. :?:

again, thanks for listening

Helen

:blowkiss:

:grouphug:
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi Helen, sorry you are having such a vile time with your boss he sounds a right plonker fancy going on holiday at such a crucial moment :nono: :yikes: :shock:

I havent tried glucosamine or cipramil, but wonder whether missing one dose would change the effects as most meds have that build up period and so they work (or not) once they have had a chance to build up into your system and therefore you would still have them in your system even if you missed one dose :?: :?: :dunno:

Hope things settle down for you soon :hugs: :hugs: :blowkiss:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Quackers » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:18 pm

:flowers: for you
As was said previously your boss seems a right plonker and that is putting it very mildly :evil:

I hope you are feeling a bit better and you get your meds sorted out.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby Helen Marie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:25 pm

thanks again folks :)

I text my boss today to say 'i'm on the mend' and he text back 'great news, hope they've sorted out and fixed, see you next wed' .... lol he really is a plonker! if only life was that easy!

Got my appt for EMG today which is a week on tues, so now i gotta tell my boss that 'on the mend' means not falling over and shaking head to toe, that the other problems still exist, and i need a morning off within the first week back at work. doh :cry:

PS anyone had EMG? you reckon i be ok for work after?

Thanks all :grouphug:
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi I had EMG and yes was ok you might just want to give yourself an hour or so before going back in :hugs: :blowkiss:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: Debility/neurontin

Postby Helen Marie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks again for the info,

Back to work thursday - eek :yikes: so will see how life is with the boss!

Went back to docs yesterday, explained i need to be able to drive 12 miles, sit at a desk for 5 hours, drive 12 miles back. didnt want a sick note, didnt want to be drugged up, just want a good night sleep and the pain lessened. i said the neuro and the pain clinic recommended several meds to try but i havent been given them yet.

She has prescribed neurontin for me, 300 mg day to start, review after 2 weeks.(this was not on either the neuro or pain clinic list mind you - do docs not like to be given hints?) made me a little drowsy yesterday, slept better, woke at 5 (for toilet) but went straight back to sleep again :clap: instead of the usual cramping pains. pains are still same today but will give this a good go.

Interestingly, i asked the doc if she believed in FM, she said she didnt know. she said that once ppl are give a diagnoses they learn to live the symptoms, giving up. and that the more tests i have, the more things they will find and i should try and live my life. hmmmmm .... didnt i start by saying that i wanted to go back to work and get back to normal, is that what we all want folks?

she was perfectly nice etc! however, she also said that i was bound to be depressed with all the pain and tests i was having :?:

but hey, at least she tried something new for me!

thanks for listening :grouphug:
Helen Marie
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Helen Marie

Some docs are a breed apart and dont like to be told anything :yikes: :yikes: Hope these pills work for you and you get your life back or at least some of it :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services