Somatisation Disorder

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Somatisation Disorder

Postby Littles » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi, Hope you're all well.

Well I had my week in the neurosciences ward, only just managed to pick myself up off the floor & get the energy to post here.

What a complete waste of my time and theirs, yes I feel safer in the knowledge that I'm not suffering from any severe neuro disorder but they totally shunned fibro and wouldn't discuss it with me at all. I got a diagnosis of somatisation disorder and refered to a mental health team, also prescibed duloxetine but it gave me vertigo type symptoms so I decided to stop them after one.

According to them, I have had such severe mental health issues since childhood that have gone untreated it's expressing itself as pain. I've been refered to my local mental health centre so many times over the years but get discharged after 1 visit as I'm told there's nothing wrong with me, I told this to the consultant psychiatrist in the hospital and he said as he was refering me things would happen for me this time... well guess what... I got a call from the local mental health and they don't think they need to see me so they're refering me to counsellour at my GP surgery. :x

So as things stand now I have no idea whether I have fibro or not, I certainly was diagnosed with it by a Rhuemy a year ago and it's taken that long to accept that my life will never be the same then they throw this spanner in the works and it's made my head very messy.

:needhug:
Last edited by Littles on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Littles
UKFM Member

Re: Somatisation Disorder

Postby Littles » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:45 pm

Oh i forgot to mention the OT was fantasic, she took me to a mini flat they had kitted out on the rehab ward and watched me make a cup of tea and get about a bit, she gave me a perching stool to bring home.

The physio was also great, he made sure my stick was the right hieght, made me walk up & down the stairs so he could observe me and gave me lots of advice and showed me some stretches for my neck & shoulder.

Neither of them had a problem with fibro
Littles
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Littles you were diagnosed by the rheumatologist and therefore in my opinion that hasn't changed :yikes: I think you ought to go to your P for a chat and ask him what is going on and how they propose to help you (if at all) If the neuro has written a report to your GP then ask to see a copyand hopefully you will get some answers Good luck and let us know how you get on :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mr.A » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:23 pm

I would ask them for objective evidence that you have Somatisation Disorder and if they can't provide any I would take legal action against them for malpractice or at the very least, have the diagnosis revoked.

They are basically saying your life sucks so much and you are so unhappy that it manifests as pain. No one will ever take you seriously once you get a diagnosis like that. It's very dangerous because any other conditions you have could be overlooked.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby neytiri » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:33 pm

hiya, do you know that 'somatisation disorder' is the new name for a hypocondryac (cant spell that lol)
dont let them fob you off, if you have genuine symptoms then go back to the start and see a new GP.
dont sit back and do nothing.
I have been back and forth to my doc for years with tons of symptoms. . .
everytime they tell me im depressed (just had full check and i'm not)
they cant be botherd with stuff they dont know so they wack a big label on ya head and back you off with funny pills.
keep fighting !!!

I am now dx with fm and looking into ms!
neytiri
UKFM Member

Postby Littles » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

I think I need to get to the Drs and get that diagnosis disregarded on my notes. Maybe I could ask for a second visit to Rheumy to confirm fibro.Do you think that's the best action?

I had no idea it was hypochondria, this could have a serious affect on my credability with Drs for the rest of my life if I don't get it overruled and we all know that it's tough getting the health professionals to take us seriously as it is.

Thank you for letting me know about this

Neytiri I'm glad you finally got your diagnosis =]
Littles
UKFM Member

Postby neytiri » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:04 pm

sorry if it offended in any way, it makes me so angry when they use these words to try and brush us off.
it was on my notes from my old GP, no wonder they never took any notice of me lol.
anyway, you keep fighting hunny, dont give in until you have been down every path.
all the best
sarah x
neytiri
UKFM Member

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:00 am

They're slightly different. Hypochondria is when someone imagines they have (usually serious) conditions based on no symptoms whatsoever or through magnifying the significance of normal symptoms of life - e.g. being tired after work, getting headaches when dehydrated, etc are not signs you have a brain tumour. :wink:

Somatisation is when psychological conditions manifest as actual physical symptoms.

It is sometimes confused with the physical symptoms of psychological conditions - e.g. fatigue and disturbed sleep can be physical symptoms of depression. The picture is also confused because catastrophisation (always thinking the worst) and stress can worsen genuinely physical conditions such as Fibro.

What many doctors seem to forget is that Fibro is relatively common (affecting at least 2-4.5% of the population) and true somatoform disorders are pretty rare.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby cassey » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 am

Hi littles i think now days every thing is classed as a menal health issue. It just means when a dr cant admit he dont no what is wrong with us we are labelë mental. And sent to see a shrink. No wonder they are so booked up and people wait months for an appointment. I seen three phyciatric drs. Phycologist cognitive therophy. And every time i was discharged. Then when the neoro got their report what did she do? Refered me to another. Each one was in a different bough i got so fed up i changed neoro at diff hosp. Thhs one is great he refered me to rummy who recently diognosed fibro.i have found out now spinal arthritis fibro 2bulge disks lumber spine and a dropped arch foot according to mri results plus i have fits.so u no what if id of stayed with the first neoro i would never of found out what was wrong id of ended up crazy she would of drove me insane
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:23 pm

fight it littles :!: :!: :!:

the others said it
:goodluck2:
if we have to wear a label then please the right one

:wave:
lu
Last edited by fibro-lu on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:19 am

Most of our GP would have us wearing labels, thats because they cant tell us what is wrong with us, we could probaly tell them a thing or to :tongueout:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby dollydaydream » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:14 pm

My GP says I have a somatic illness. When you look up "somatic", it says "of the body". Cancers are somatic mutations apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic

Technically he is correct and I know he "believes" in Fibro as he has been certificated by our Fibro group. Trouble is he is very very clever and i think sometimes, what he puts can be misinterpreted. A lay person reading that I had a somatic illness would assume that I had hyperchondria.

Ho hum
Sending you love and light

Sarah xxx
dollydaydream
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services