M.E. Virus

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

M.E. Virus

Postby dizzydolly » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi all

I heard on the news yesterday that scientists have discovered that M.E. is a virus (not the XMRV virus). They have done tests on children that confirm that the children with m.e. all had lowered white blood cells which indicate that their bodies are fighting off a virus. They are going to do more tests, so it may take a while but at least we know that they are trying. They say that m.e. and fibroymyalgia share a lot of the same symptoms, so I feel hopeful that this news will benefit all of us. :D
dizzydolly
UKFM Newbie

Re: M.E. Virus

Postby denys » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 am

Hi Dizzydolly is that in this country?? I thought that if your bodywas fighting something then your white blood count went up??? as the body produces more to fight infection etc. maybe its different with viruses. Tanks for giving us the info, your right some good may come out of the studies to help with different conditions :hugs: :hugs: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dizzydolly » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Deny's

You will be right about the white blood cells, I find it very confusing :?: The study was done in Scotland. The link below should take you to the news article. :wave:

:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11204884
dizzydolly
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Everything to do with FM is sooooo confusing :crazy: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:01 am

This is relevant to ME/CFS not Fibro, although some people do have both conditions and others are mis-diagnosed either way.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services