UK fMRI Research Study looking for Participants with Fibro

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

UK fMRI Research Study looking for Participants with Fibro

Postby LinzWorld » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:49 am

The Birmingham University Imaging Centre are looking for patients with Fibro to take part in an fMRI study. Full details, including inclusion/exclusion criteria and contact details, on the FibroAction website here:

http://www.fibroaction.org/News/UK-fMRI ... algia.aspx
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Re: UK fMRI Research Study looking for Participants with Fibro

Postby fabme » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi

Thanks for that Linz and There may be some members who would be interested in participating. Unfortunatly it's too far for me and as I'm hypersensitive to pain I really don't fancy the idea of inflicting pain on myself :shock: :yikes:

Fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:10 pm

It's to far away for me too :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shellcake » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Umm I might be interested in doing this as I live pretty close to the QE.
Have to think about it though. Lots of extra pain...
But I have kids and fibro seems to run in families so it could help them.
I might just give them a ring and see...
Remember you only have to live through each day once.
shellcake
UKFM Member

Postby confused » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 pm

pity that its a load of psychologists doing it though, those who wish to discredit fibro :?
confused
UKFM Member

Postby piglet_mini » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:48 pm

I would have been interested but cant have MRI due to internal metal work
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby shellcake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:57 pm

I have the info and forms. They have 2yrs funding so far with the hope of more. My inital query was whether this was "real" research or just a medics 6mth placement research.

Confused: I too noticed it's the Psychololgy dept doing the research and so I am sitting on the paper work for a bit while I fight through the fog and think this out.
If all they want to know is how we perceive pain I am not that interested. The research in that is done - our brains light up in such a way as to suggest it hurts like hell for us. So this is KNOWN. If they want more back up on that fair enough.
However if this is the only research being done in fibro we wont be getting treatment or better still prevention any time soon.

If the Psychology dept were working with other areas; endochronology would be interesting for a start and cardio, then I would be more willing to go and have more pain for the fMRI but right now....not so sure.

I'll let you know what I decide.
Remember you only have to live through each day once.
shellcake
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:38 pm

confused wrote:pity that its a load of psychologists doing it though, those who wish to discredit fibro :?

Although it's frustrating ->if<- indeed, Fibromyalgia funds were giving to the psychology department (seems to me that Fibromyalgia funding is very disproportionate in favour of psychiatry/psychology), I don't see why what they're doing is wrong. This experiment seems legit. At the end of the day their research will be judged on it's merit, if it is flawed then it will be called out on it's flaws. I'm really curious, what are you afraid of anyway? How will they discredit fibro? :dunno:
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby Donna Day » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm

Posted this link on facebook for others to see x
Donna

I JUST WANT TO BE ME AGAIN
Donna Day
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services