Reason Why Doctors Think You're exagerating

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Reason Why Doctors Think You're exagerating

Postby Mr.A » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:41 am

Just correcting the logic and pointing out a few flaws in this paper I read, you may have to read through it to understand what I mean.

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/con ... l/49/4/277

To be fair most of it was reasonable but there were some major issues that need to be addressed:

Article wrote:“Deception is hardly unique to factitious disorder. For example, reported base rates of "symptom exaggeration" are 39% in mild head injury, 35% in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, 31% in chronic pain, 15% in depressive disorders, and 11% in dissociative disorders”

So this is why so many patients are accused of exaggerating by their GPs.

Article wrote:“Advancing the theory that factitious disorder is a somatoform disorder subcategory would enhance the utility of DSM–V calls for research data. The descriptive data we have mustered here support better definition of how these two broad illness categories relate to one another.”

The combination of somatoform disorder and lying, is not a new disease, it’s not even a disease what so ever, and should never be classified as one. They are two distinct categories, how do they relate to each other any more than somoform + cancer or somatoform + aids, or lying + cancer, or lying + aids?

Article wrote:“with most not admitting their illness-inducing activities, even when confronted with irrefutable evidence.”

Evidence such as? Why won’t you show us this evidence? You don’t f****** well have any, that’s why.

Not once did the article mention cases where practitioners accuse the patient of having a “Factitious disorder”, when in fact the patient has a physical disorder, and suffered greatly not just due to their symptoms but due the lack of legitimacy and effects of being discredited by the medical community on the patient, and the patient's friends & family members.

I May edit this post to add more, but I am very tired right now, it’s 07:30am and I’ve not gone to bed yet.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Re: Reason Why Doctors Think You're exagerating

Postby sjc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:28 pm

:banghead:hello, there! A very interesting and true point that you have made. I agree, like many FMS sufferers, that we do not feel appreciated by the medical world, due to this condition being a hidden disability and not fully understood what FMS is. Personally I have had experiences with ppl, especially with medical experts, that are very ignorant about my conditions...and they look at you in their smug way to say that they dont believe you. I like these gp's and doctors to change places with their patients and then would finally understand and believe their patients. Take care. Xxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:35 pm

There was another answer here but he/she has removed it. :dunno:
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I have checked the mod logs and it would appear that Confused deleted the post and the only reason I can see for it is that she put something on and changed her mind. :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services