Fed up of nhs/social services

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fed up of nhs/social services

Postby sjc » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:32 pm

hello everyone. How are you all? I am a just been diagnosed this with chronic fm earlier this year. Luckily, my gp surgery has referred me to pain management which im glad as i need specialized treatment for my pain. But...ive been under mental health services for the past few years due to getting depressed from fm. To be honest, i do not get any proper support from Mental health services - the ppl i see from mental health have got no idea on how pain affects fm sufferers. Does anyone have problems with mental health teams? Also, do anyone of you get support from social services? What help do you lot get? Loue to know what nhs or social support works. Take care folks. :banghead:
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: Fed up of nhs/social services

Postby denys » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

Sorry I dont have any contact with either mental health or social services for FM, I did have contact with mental health a few years ago for depression and found the lady I dealt with very good. Can you ask your GP to refer you to another team??? :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mr.A » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 pm

Does anyone have problems with mental health teams?

Had more than my fair share.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Lots of people seem to have problems when there connected to FM, got to be the beliefs of the MH towards chronic pain :yikes: :yikes: :evil:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby matthew » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi sjc, I am in the same boat as you. I've suffered mental health problems for years and have seen the help I receive peter away to practically nothing. All the doctors in my area were changed recently and I saw a 'professor' (I knew this because he kept referring to himself as such) who took absolutely no interest in me what so ever, he didn't ask me how I was or how I'd been. Despite this, he still saw fit to increase my medication (which I refused) and make a diagnosis despite knowing nothing about me. The other day I rang up his secretary almost in tears and she said I could see a junior doctor. I am seeing him next Monday - remarkably a full three months before my normal appointment was due again. I used to see my previous doctor every six weeks but this 'professor' saw fit to quadruple it to six months.

I suppose what I'm saying is, if you're not happy with the service you receive then make some phone calls, get in touch with Advocacy services or something and make your voice heard. I'm really glad I made that phone call as now it seems like I have somewhat of a safety net again, even if it is a very threadbare one.
"I'd rather struggle through life with my eyes open than sail through life with them closed"
matthew
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Who dosent get depressed iwth M/Fibro.
I hold up my hand i was very depressed (but it came out as nerves and shaking) when i first took ill and my meds were not working and they didnt know what was wrong with me.
Thankfully i got better but its a dark place to be and i can appreciate anyones feeling that is there just now.
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services