mobility assessment

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

mobility assessment

Postby solsticedreamer » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 am

the local OT told me i need to ask my gp for a mobility assessment when i asked about a stick for walking~has anyone had one?

i was nearly crying when out the other day when struggling to get down some steps and plodding around a shop :( it felt like my feet had a blow torch aimed at the soles and that my ankles would shatter with every step.

i have a stick my mum brought round but it doesnt feel very stable, quite often if i go out i am feeling all brave and 'okay~i am okay honest'~i am so desperate to get out :crazy:
m.e~fibro~diabetes~high cholesterol...still smiling!
http://solsticedreamer-woolblankets.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer
UKFM Member

Re: mobility assessment

Postby shazq » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 am

Hi
I just started using my stick without asking my GP, i did tell him when i first started using it though.

I have had a few falls so i use the stick more for balance, i would hate to fall down in the street.

At first i used one of the fold up sticks but found it did not feel safe so brought a solid wooden one which is lots better.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 am

I thought it was the OT department who carry out the mobility assessment's :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby deathvalleydemon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:19 pm

shazq wrote:Hi
I just started using my stick without asking my GP, i did tell him when i first started using it though.

I have had a few falls so i use the stick more for balance, i would hate to fall down in the street.

At first i used one of the fold up sticks but found it did not feel safe so brought a solid wooden one which is lots better.

I fell down a while back whilst crossing the road, almost cost me my life...

:(
deathvalleydemon

Postby shellcake » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:41 pm

Physio sorted me out for crutches I remember, and got the wheelchair when that wasn't enough.
Remember you only have to live through each day once.
shellcake
UKFM Member

Postby princess » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Make an appointment for your Surgery Nurse she should be able to get you one.
They dont give them out willy nilly as so many people have got them from A&E and then havent returned them - if you can get someone to go to your local car boot i bet you could pick up 10.
I have my Dad's WW2 stick and i use it off an on. (i never asked permission either).
princess
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Dianebb72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:10 pm

My occupational therapist has visited me today to bring some adaptations and I mentioned about getting a walking stick to ensure my independence when out and about and she is gonna get another OT to assess me so I would have thought that yours would do the same

-X- Diane -X-
Dianebb72
UKFM Member

Postby solsticedreamer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

i phoned up the OT department to ask about it (we have bath lift and other bits and bobs as my partner has a really bad back and they assessed him~so i use it too) and the chap said they dont do it which i thought a bit odd :?

i checked their web site and they only do the big things~bath lifts, raised toilet seats etc.

i have my great uncles stick that my mum brought me round and i use it when i am feeling extra still and unsteady~i have to see my dotor about the amitriptyline making me sick so i will bring it up.
m.e~fibro~diabetes~high cholesterol...still smiling!
http://solsticedreamer-woolblankets.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi was reading ur article on walking sticks. If anyone is having trouble obtain one try ur local charity shop they tend to have lots
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby shazbaz1971 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 pm

hiya

My OT did assesment for walking stick!! She got me one of those black adjustable ones with a curved hand rest on , must admit it better than what you can buy, not that i had problem with buying one tho! However wheelchair assesment is thru your doctor/GP..........your OT has to ask your GP for that , he/she then asks you to go in, and decides, if yes then you go on a waiting list for short while , and then NHS sevice brings it to your door and shows you how to use etc ! Also your Doctor will decide which type wheelchair, ie, freewheel etc x

hope this helps

shaz x
"Many a tear has to fall, but it's all in the game"

Shaz
xxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 am

I've just been referred by my OT for a wheelchair, she didnt ask my doc so I think it must be different from area to area which would be par for the course again wouldn't it :yikes: :facepalm:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazbaz1971 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:04 pm

denys wrote:I've just been referred by my OT for a wheelchair, she didnt ask my doc so I think it must be different from area to area which would be par for the course again wouldn't it :yikes: :facepalm:

yeah it must be hun, reckon all areas are different by sounds of it, basically tho its always surrounded around a OT, thank god for them hey!

:hugs:

shaz xx
"Many a tear has to fall, but it's all in the game"

Shaz
xxxxxx
shazbaz1971
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:11 pm

oh definitely Shaz :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby cassey » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Can i ask plz how do i get an ot think thats what is called? And what services can they offer
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Cassey, I was referred by my GP and they offer services to get you some independance back, so aids to help around the house, grab bars, shower seats, bannister rails, perching stools all things like that :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services