GP referring to Pain Clinic

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GP referring to Pain Clinic

Postby floss112 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:34 am

Hi again :wave: - too many questions, sorry!

I've just been having an early morning trawl of the internet and seen a video on the NHS Direct Website about pain clinics. It says that they only take referrals from GPs but that they offer a range of interventions and/or therapies to those with chronic pain.

I find it bizarre that every time my daughter (CFS, FM, EDS III and Autonomic Dysfunction) sees a GP, they sigh, shake their heads, tut and say how terrible it is that she struggles with severe and constant all-over body pain. But no-one has mentioned going to a pain clinic!?!

We are seeing a number of consultants so maybe they think we have to follow this path first - but I do get the feeling that in FibroWorld you have to search out and ask for what you need.... when we've done that the GP has always been quite happy to oblige (initial referrals, wheelchair assessments etc) but they have not initiated anything themselves :nono:

Just wondered if anyone had had any benefit from attending a pain clinic and, if so, what kind of treatment they were offered? I keep reading how exercise is good for FM but my daughter is now in her 3rd day back in bed after a 20 minute, incredibly gentle hydrotherapy session - where she literally just gently moved her joints a little - has left her unable to sleep at all and really struggling with the pain.... so methinks we're kind of not at the physio/exercise stage yet :roll:

Thanks for reading
floss112
UKFM Member

Re: GP referring to Pain Clinic

Postby budda » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 am

Hi floss, sorry to hear that your daughter is in pain, it must be hard for you to watch, At the moment am attending the pain clinc, started last Monday, first time we spoke was about introducing yourself, at the time i was going through a flare up, so did not speak much, they are going to try and tell us how to manage our pain, so going back tomorrow, if I were you and wanted MY daughter to go any were I would ask the GP for a referal, hope your daughter is feeling better soon. :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Korakes » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Floss I went to the pain clinic in February my GP sent me they gave me a tens machine and said they would put me down for a pain management course which I finally go to tomorrow, it is one day a week for 8 weeks so hope it all goes well as my pain is getting worse and I have it most of the day now. Don`t know how I will keep awake though. Jean :D
Korakes
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:43 am

:goodluck2: with it Jean. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 pm

:goodluck1: from me too :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby cassey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 am

Hi im under pain management the neoro sugested it and did tmhe referal 6mths ago on the first visit u see 3 professionals. Phycologstdedea physio and doctor so be warned ur there hrs . Thexm worked out the best treatment for u usualy phisio. I did 4wks phisio but then they said it was no good for me my body is not ready so the phisio dischard me my next app feb 2011 it works for some and its good to sort ur meds out
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby MsCassie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am

My mum has been to the pain clinic 4 times now, each time she has had an Epidural and nerve blocking injections, the first set of injections, she was under local anasectic, and she says it was a horrible experience.
The next 3 times she was sedated with Rohipnal.

She's due back to have more, and a new one, a Ligdocaine infusion (sorry if I have spelt that wrong)

So hopefully that might make a bit of difference, as the epidoodle and nerve blockers haven't really done anything to eliviate the pain..

Good luck to you and yours xx
MsCassie
UKFM Newbie

Postby libby63 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I have been refered to the Pain Clinic.. I am sorry to say it was a bit of a waste of time.. The consultant upped my dose of Amitriptyline to 50mg after 3 days on that doesage I could hardly function at all so went back down to 20 am now up to 30. I also did the pain management course 8wks of them telling me thing I already knew which was to pace myself. For someone who has a problem coccyx sitting for 2 hrs listening to their dripple I was in so much pain that doing the 15 minutes of exercise was almost impossible.

Thats just how it was for me though your pain clinc may do things differently.

Liz
libby63
UKFM Member

Postby Elsbeth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:40 pm

Everytime I see a GP they mention this to me but nobody has ever actually refered me. I am now going on a coping with pain course via my mental health nurse so it is like a shortcut to the same thing.

I want my meds changed tbh.
Elsbeth
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services