fibro v me

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibro v me

Postby cassey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi iv been reading an article on fibro v me. As u all may no more about this than i do. My question is? If fibro can cause chronic fategue like me. And the symptoms are very simular than how dn we no if we have fibro or me?.
cassey
UKFM Member

Re: fibro v me

Postby denys » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi Cassey, we have had a post on this very subject, posted by Mr A. the only thing IMO that can be said really is which came first, pain or fatigue :?:

If it was pain (plus the 18 point test) this points to FM and if it was fatigue without the intensity of pain then ME. My daughter has just been diagnosed with ME, I have FM we differ in our symptoms to a degree.

But others have found the symptoms overlap and I suppose that makes it more difficult to completely differeniate between the two :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: sorry I cant be of any more help, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby cassey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi denys thank u for ur post.please can i ask what is the 18point test?. Still so much i dont understand.
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:51 am

Hi Cassey, the 18 point test consists of points on our bodies were if a certain amount of pressure is applied (properly by a doc) we get horrible pain more than a person without FM would feel. Mike posted a map of were the points are on the body, it's in Living with fibro

here is the link download/file.php?id=313 :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fabme » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Cassey

I have both FM &CFS so I'll try to explain best I can :) when I was seeing the drs before I was diagnosed they were finding it hard to decide which was the one I had :( . The pain and stifness along with the 18 point test was pointing towards the Fm, but the fatigue I has was far worse than what was expected for FM I also had previously been tested for thyroid etc and when they came negative the decision was that I had both :crazy:

Hope this helps :D

Fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Bobbi08 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:48 pm

With me it was the fatigue that hit me first then I had the muscle and joint pains. Doctor tested me for Thyroid that was negative but I did have high ESR results which eventually came down.

When I saw the first rhuemy she did a test to see how weak I was which was worse on the right side than the left. Sent for more bloods and an brian MRI, both came back clear.

Saw the next Rhuemy who had come to the conclusion that I had fibro before I had even walked into the room because he asked a couple of questions and said "well with fibro"!!! blah blah blah.. I never had the 18 point test, and put it down to me having a virus in May and my dad having cancer.. I did say that my fatigue on the day seemed ok and this was stated in the letter that my fatigue was easing.. which was not the case I just seemed to be having an ok day! He looked at my toe which I can't move and is stuck in one position and said it is inflammed and put this down to the fibro and said would get better with the meds he has given me. I was in there less than 20 mins.

He hasn't ruled out MS yet but saw no objective reason for me having it but did say in the letter that if no better the GP must refer me to a neurologist for further tests....

My sister has just been diagnosised with Lupus, so I just don't know......

I can't put this down to stress as my dad was given the all clear in March, I was ill in May and I was not under any stress. I mean my son has severe mental health problems and epilepsy and 2007/2008 was the most stressful time of my life and I never never felt like this during that period!
Sorry that turned into a download! xxxxxxx :roll:
Bobbi08
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi was reading ur post lol like me. I dont no till now what the 18point test is was. He never did it iv look at the picture pointing the fibro points. Im more confussëd.as most of the points are not where i get pain? Ms negetive .neoro said no feeling on right leg. I have violent shaky eposodes front thighs cramp aprox 5 seconds then release. Spasms all over pins needles hands toes electric shooting pain foot now over last few day shooting stab pain behing eye blured vision im on ms meds but no diognoses. Visitë rummy first appt oh u have fibro.im confussëd.like u he made up his mind before seeing me lol i think my fategue is my meds carbamazapine 1600. Baclofen 300mg gabapentin 2700mg. Arcoxia 120mg oxybutin30mg the list cnt. This is why im so tired.
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Hi Cassey, the 18 points are not were you feel pain all the time but where, if pressed by the doc when they are using a certain amount of pressure will hurt. It shouldnt hurt people who havent got fibro. You're probably right about your meds making you tired :hugs: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lal10 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 pm

I've been reading this with a lot of interest. I have only recently been diagnosed with FM (along with a few other little nasties) and suffer with constant pain and constant fatigue. The left side of my body always hurts along with the right side of my neck, back and buttocks, this I would call a 'good' day, on a bad day everything from my heels, fingers, even eyebrows hurt! I could also happily sleep for 20 hours a day, I am always so tired I can hardly concentrate and am really struggling. Should I ask my GP about ME or do I just have severe fibro?

I've been trying to work out which symptoms came first but as I have been suffering for years I cannot really remember. All I do know is that it all started when I was under a huge amount of stress and then had 3 consecutive chest infections that I couldn't afford to get treated properly (was living abroad, got the diagnosis couldn't afford enough prescriptions).
lal10
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services