back to gp

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

back to gp

Postby cassey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:51 am

Yet again iv got to go this morning to see my unsympathetic gp.i complained about eye pain the other week. Now terrible pains in my feet hands been in bed so painfull to walk.my one foot goes numb if i put pressure on it ie walk. Toes tingling constantly back is in bits dont no what to do!? Hate going to gp but dont want to suffer.
cassey
UKFM Member

Re: back to gp

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:26 am

How many GP's are at your practice? I have seen 6 GP's at mine for Fibro related stuff - the first refused to prescribe me anything 'just take Ibuprofen' 'but it makes my heart beat irregular' 'I've never heard of that, take it you'll be fine!' - the only good thing she did was run a blood test for RA and then I pestered her about my family history of arthritis and she referred me to the Rheumy to get rid. The second, reluctantly gave me some naproxen which made me swell up. The third was great, she suspected Lupus and gave me some advice on what to do. A month later I flared really badly and had to see a GP - I made an emergency appointment and got the 4th GP who is brilliant, straight on diclofenac and dihydrocodeine, signed me off sick for a month, did more bloods, wrote to work to explain why I'm on reduced hours (10-4 instead of 8:30-6) and will soon be writing a medical report on me for work as well. The second two I saw when GP 4 wasn't available, the 5th saw me with GP 4 as well one time as she was a new Dr, she gave me loads of good tips on exercise I could and couldn't do and the 5th sorted out some side effects of the medications and repeated my sick note whilst GP 4 was on leave.

6 GP's - 4 were good ones. Sometimes we have to try a number of Dr's to find the right one. I'd strongly suggest you ask reception to book you in to see someone else and give them a try. Good luck! Also, with today's GP - if they don't know what's wrong then ask if they'll refer you to a Rheumatologist. Explain how the pain affects your day to day functioning. I told the 4th GP I couldn't open bottle lids etc when my hands were bad, couldn't take the lids off tins, struggled to bend down for the loo etc - I think it helps them to qualify how bad the pain is.

Let us know how you get on, hope the doc will give you some pain killers!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Cassey I agree with Ldyalb if your gp is unsympathetic then change if possible to one who is, this condition needs understanding gp's because of the complexities so :goodluck2: and I hope you get some relief soon :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby cassey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Its one of those crappy country surgerys the closest town redditch 20mins away.the surgery has two men two woman. The one male gp old school type that no one wants to see. The other male great if u have what he would consider a real. illness cancer etc no time fo the likes of me.last time i allready said prev message.i was told to sort my marrige out etc. Ha. The one lady gp i took my teenage daughter exzema all her life. She had exema flair skin got infected this stupid gp said not exzema the rash is due to leg shaving lol. The next one seems nice i see her now but only workes two mornings allways bookëd up. Anyway getting appoint bk to pain clinic i dont mind all those men in uniforms lol its qe bham were all the soldiers are. God bless em. C getting side tracked the. Gp was a young locam he said the pain management will asses me . Gota go to morow to have a foot support fitted
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm glad you've got a referral. When I first moved to London my bf and I went to a Dr's surgery with only 2 GP's - a married couple! My bf didn't like the GP we both saw and his parents discovered another surgery nearby with about 12 GP's, about 8 women and 4 guys. So we've both been around the GP's block a bit there! Hope tomorrow goes well for you
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

DOCTORS...

Postby sjc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi, everyone. Hope ur ok. I know what u mean on gp's...they spend 5 years at university, yet they stil lack knowdledge on certain things...I spent about 5 years going 2 my gp surgery complaining of pain and I've only just got a diagnosis of fm and a referral 2 pain management. Its about time gp's had more training in hidden conditions like FM, so that they be more supportive. Take care. :wave:
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby cassey » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:30 am

Gotta go hosp tomorow foot support fit. All those army doctors. Do u think they will carrie me lol qe hosp bham its part of the army hosp where our lads come back for treatment after fighting in afganistan god bless them
cassey
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

:goodluck1: cassy. x
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:00 pm

:goodluck1: Cassey :fingerscrossed:
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services