Flu Jab

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flu Jab

Postby Quackers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Has anyone else had the flu jab because of having a Fibro diagnosis?
3 years ago, before diagnosis, my GP informed both me and my husband that we were entitled to have it
He got it because he is my sole carer. We got our jabs no bother.
When I asked last year I was told, rather gruffly, under no condition were either of us entitled
I am frightened to ask again but worried sick in case my husband becomes ill as there is no one else locally who will look after either of us and I am totally incapable of looking after myself never mind nursing my poor husband
Quackers
UKFM Member

Re: Flu Jab

Postby denys » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 pm

Ask again, I get mine because of my diabetes, if your surgery refuse you can buy them in places like Boots. I dont think fibro is one of the conditions covered but the fact that you are classed as disabled and have a carer (is he registered as such??) You really should get it, I had it and still have caught the flu, bad enough to knock me off my feet but not as bad as it might have been without it :(

Sadie are you a member of a crafting forum xx
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:14 am

at my surgery having fibro does not qualify you for a flu jab. something else to fight for.....

adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:33 am

My husband is down on all my records as my sole carer. Can I ask what you mean as registered?
I just cannot understand why the first year one GP gave us a row for not going for it then suddenly we are not allowed
Both years I was undiagnosed and I was on High mobility and medium care allowance the second year and still am.

Denys
I used to be in quite a few craft forums and loved them all. But have not being crafting much lately. Last thing I did were invites for Daughter's wedding and that was a big struggle.
Have not been in my lovely craft room since I finished them. I dread to think what mess I left it in :crazy:
I am determined that once I get over the flare up I am in now that I will get back to crafting and therefore back to the forums. :fingerscrossed:
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 am

Registered means he gets carers allowance for you I believe :dunno: :dunno: that was what I was told, my daughter is my main carer and she was told she didnt qualify and when I asked why was told she doesnt claim carers :dunno: :dunno: seems silly to me but hey hope you both can get one as I think with all the associated things that go on with fibro it should be in the catagory for the jab

Hope this makes sense brain def not working now :crazy: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fabme » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:01 am

Hi

I get it as I also have a chronic lung condition and asthma, I believe last year with the swine flue vaccines there was strick regulations over who could have it and when. This year should be back to normal, so it's worth asking again :D Also as others have mentioned you can pay for it at a last resort as well

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Quackers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 am

Thanks Fabme I sure will ask
It is the worry over my what would happen if my hubby fell ill that really worries me.
Quackers
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi
It depends on the surgery/area you live, some doc`s will give flu jab for just fibro and some wont. :dunno:
You can buy them from a pharmacy if your surgery wont give them for free.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby piglet_mini » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 am

wHat was the outcome re jabs in end Hun? Xx
The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveller than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination.
piglet_mini
UKFM Member

Postby Anne161 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:43 pm

I got my flu jab on Monday but had to fight for it. I had an appointment and went in to the nurse but when she saw that I wasn't using steroids for my asthma she said I couldn't have it. It was only when I said that I also had fibro that she gave it me. I think they are just cutting down on how many people have the jab and are using any excuse to do it. I would def fight to get it :goodluck2:
Anne161
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Ann your practice nurse is deffinatly wrong, asthma is on the list of of who should have it, and steriods isn't a criteria for having it or not. Either she's taking the decision herself or it is gp led

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby Anne161 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi Fabme, I know I even got a letter before Christmas saying I was in the at risk group and to make an appointment. I am glad I stood my ground there was no way I wasn't getting it after I had dragged myself to the surgery and stood in a long line for nearly an hour. I think I may write to the surgery as this to me is unacceptable!!!!
Anne161
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:47 am

Hi, my youngest daughter went to get her jab (she has asthma) the nurse who is also a family friend told her she shouldnt be getting it as she wasnt using her inhalers all the time!!??? Never happened before. Lucy stood her ground too and got it I think the panic is in due to the shortages, it's ridiculous as I get mine for my asthma and diabetes and I dont use my inhaler all the time either :crazy: :crazy: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm

:wave: when they 1st started my husband had it as he has angina,emphysema and loads of other probs .i didnt .but the 2nd time they grabbed me in saying why haven,t you had it ,so i said not had letter and didnt really want it . :nono: and i was informed i had to have it in my own rights not just to protect oh :yikes: and ever since received letter for it :cry: so is it something to do with areas :dunno:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services