Occupational therapy/Home Medical Support

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby sjc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello there. Hope u all ok 2day. I have fms as well as agoraphobia. Sadly, I have had to give up alot of medical appointment because I am too poorly to get out the house some days...my mobility/independance is not great these days. What makes it worser is that I do not have access to a personal car...I have tried to have ask for support from social services, but in my area, they only deal with extreme cases, so I cannot get help support in the home. Can people with fm have Nhs occupational therapy in their home? I asked my gp the other day that I need therapy in the home, he didn't know what to do. I am only a young person and I want to get better, but I am virtually housebound. :sick: :sleep:
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: Occupational therapy/Home Medical Support

Postby denys » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Ask your GP to refer you to the Occupational Therapy Department, they do home visits and will arrange for you to get any adaptations you need in your home such as grab rails, perching stools, walking stick etc.

They have referred me to the physio to be assessed for crutches, but I couldnt wait and bought some from Argos but she also referred me to the wheelchair centre for assessment :goodluck1: with it all, I hope you get the things you need to help :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Adele » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:18 pm

hi sjc, firstly :hugs:

i have an occupational theapist from social services visit me at home. she will stop visiting when the aids and adaptations i need are installed. i refered myself for an assessment over the phone.

i have access to an OT at the pain clinic but they do not do home visits so i don't use them anymore. at my local pain clinic once you are refered there you do not get discharged.

the OT there has been good at writing letters to support my housing application, blue badge application etc.

what type of help is it you are looking for? :blowkiss:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 pm

:wave: Hello, there. Thanxs 4 ur comments everyone. I read about OT in detail and I think it would suit me. I need someone who can teach me how to cope in the community and home. I thìnk OT would help with getting help with accessing equipment, meals on wheels, etc. At the moment, I live with in a private rented property with my family, so it is a little hard to get adaptions as it is not my house. Having an OT would help me to get a suitable bungalow from the council, as the current property is not disabled friendly and it cannot be adapted...Sadly, Derbyshire social services are not the greatest and they are very hard to get any support from, so I am not able to get anything at moment. The pain clinic said they cannot do home visits and there are no charitable organisations that do home help for ppl like myself... But I will definetly look up about OT at my hospital and what there policies are. I keep telling the doctors that I struggle with my mobility but i feel they are not always sympathetic to those with FM. I think that having access to a mobility car and a supportive social services team would improve alot of people's quality of lifè. It is extremely hard for those with the severe end of fm/agoraphobia to lead a normal life as the NHS and social services offer great care in one part the uk yet poor services in another. Derbyshire is absolutely crap with it's community care services. Take care. Xxx
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 pm

hi sjc,

derbyshire social services sound unhelpful. it took me 4 years to finally get the help i need from my s.s. i am on my third OT and she has done so much more than the others. unfortunately teaching you how to cope at home and in the community just doesn't happen, well not here. they give you some aids and run. i had a private landlord before who agreed to grabrails being put up everywhere.

for carers and meals on wheels you need an assessment for direct payments from a social worker. i am having mine tomorrow.

things do vary according to where you live. to get crutches, a walking stick or a wheelchair assessment here is only through the physio dept.

i get transport to hospital appointments organised by my gp. it is provided by volunteer drivers for the ambulance service. there can be 4 other people in the car, and the driver, but as i can't use public transport it's a god send.

i wish there was someone to teach me how to adjust to my new life. i did not even qualify for a wheelchair assessment as here you have to use it full time. i shuffle round the house instead of using my chair so no help. i rent a powerchair and had to learn how to get on buses etc myself.

there needs to be a "now you are disabled" guide to services.

best wishes, adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby nutty1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 am

:wave: so sorry you having bad time of it .went through alot of critisismsorry brain struggling with words today ,but the last 5 years :clap: glad say things improved a great deal .our drs. are linked to local hosp and have there own nurses etc .hope things get better soon and you get support and help you need .gentle :hugs: :flowers:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services