what next

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what next

Postby tracyb » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:51 pm

ive just been diagnosed with fibro and my gp had already put me on amatryptolene 20mg at night. The consultant who diagnosed me said no point in him seeing me again as nothing he can do and he will refer me to phsio and OT oh and told me to go swimming 3 times a week. So not sure what happens now the amatryptolene isnt really helping and im awake most of the evening i drive a lot for my job and need my wits about me as im a computer engineer but I need something for the pain in the day because by the time I get home at night im in agony my fingers and feet are swollen and feel generally rubbish. I get confused in work for no reason I know what I want to say it just comes out of my mouth all wrong, its getting embarrassing. Ive told my boss that i been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibro but to be honest they dont seem to take it serious. Not sure what to do next do I go back to gp an try and sort pain meds out, bearing in mind it took her 8 months to send me to consultant as I dont think she believed me about the pain.
Scared of this taking hold I want to fight it but am really struggling as to my next step, trying to find alternative therapies as well.

Any advice would be good
Thanks
Tracy x
tracyb
UKFM Newbie

Re: what next

Postby denys » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:06 am

Hi Tracy, you need to go back to your doc if the amis arent working, you dont say how long you have been on them? they can take quite a while to get into your system, but if you have been on them some time then go back as there are other things to try.

Try not to stress as that will make you flare and then you are going to end up in a vicious circle where fibro ends up winning. Keep fighting is the advice I would give, but be kind to yourself. Pace if possible, ask if it is possible to have help with moving heavy bits of kit maybe by the use of a trolley jack etc. Make your life as easy as possible ask for as many things that make your job easier to carry out nad you will manage to keep going longer.

I dont work anymore as my FM got the better of me and I ended up being made redundant, but I know I would have fought to carry on if they had let me :( :goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed: you'll get the support you need to carry on :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby tracyb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 am

thanks for that Ive only been on the meds about 3 months but not really getting much relief. work are good and will get any equipment I need but must admit im stubborn however they now got me a special keyboar that splits and tilts to help my hands. To be honest sitting for long periods (ie driving and at my desk) is as bad as walking so i cant really win.
I need to look into the DDA to see if ican push work to retrain me in a different part of IT, however, as I work for a government agency which is facing massive cutbacks I prob dont stand a chance.
tracyb
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

:goodluck1: tracy hope you do manage to get retrained :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am

work are good and will get any equipment I need but must admit im stubborn

It's the same thing for a lot of us, and asking that first time for some help is probably one of the hardest things for us to do, but when you start it does get a little easier.

If you have a look under the medications page of the main site, it gives some info about the things that are used to try and manage FM. It might be an idea to print up some info to take with you when you next see your gp so you can go thru the various options and see what might be helpful to you. With the various meds used for FM and because what works for one of us might work for another, it can take a while to find the combination of things that work for you. It could be that your amitriptyline dosage needs tweaking as well.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: with work and getting some relief from the pain :hugs: :hugs:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi
:goodluck1: with your work, you could also print some info off and ask your work to read it to get an understanding of what you will be going through.
Are you able to take drive brakes? stop and stretch your legs as driving wont do your body very good pain wise.
Try to take as many breaks as you can throughout the day, learn to listen to your body, if you need to rest then rest. Try to make your journeys as comfy as poss.

Hope you get the right pain meds. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tracyb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 pm

thanks so much for that guys is nice to know im not on my own with this, hubby is great but as ive said ive always been stubborn and think i may push myself too much sometimes instead of admitting im hurting and need to rest. I can take breaks but like today it took me three hours to get to birmingham for a job and was so still once i got there even tho i had stopped off, then a couple of hours in the office and then same journey back so have had a blinding headache all night as well. Im ringing the docs tomorrow although getting an appointment is something else, you ring ring up speak to receptionist she then books you infor the doc to call you back (not always easy in work) then whichever doc is on duty speaks to you and decides whether you need an appointment or not. However, I will persevere and i need something to help me in the day so that the pain doesn take hold which means my amatryptolene doesn twork at night.
Once again thanks again for your support
tracyb
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am

You are very welcome Tracy and I hope you manage to get an appointment :hugs: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 am

:wave: hope you get sorted real soon :blowkiss:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Hope you get your meds sorted soon :hugs: :hugs:
budda
UKFM Regular