Mental Health

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mental Health

Postby nana » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi folks
can anyone tell me if they have had any success coping with their FM and pain related symptoms via mental health treatments?
Also, how do you get any mental health support?
What type if any is available?
Thanks
Nana
nana
UKFM Member

Re: Mental Health

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello nana, I've had counselling and therapy, not just to help with FM but with a whole host of other things I was battling with. While it doesn't help with the actual pain, the psychologist I saw had dealt with a lot of patients suffering with various chronic pain conditions, so she was able to help come up with ways to challenge and approach all the unhelpful thoughts my mind was full of.

It's not a quick fix or cure-all as it took a bit of time to get into the ways we came up with for me to try. I was referred to our area Adult mental Health Dept/unit by my gp based on those various scales and questionnaires you complete when being assessed re depression etc. It would be worth talking to your gp about it to see if they think it might be helpful/suitable for you.

I could tell you in more detail about the sort of things we covered, but I don't know how much of it would be relevant to you. If you want to know more about what I found helpful, I'm happy to share what I did to see if it might be useful.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nana » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok, Thanks FluppyPuppy.
The only experience I have had with mental health support was years ago when my GP referred me to a counsellor. I ended up listening to her divorce anxieties. Obviously that wasnt much help to me, I am really skeptical about 'counsellors', as a result of that experience!
As I have lived with chronic pain for 25 yrs or so I have the skills to cope physically with the fatigue and try to stick to the advise about diet and exercise but I am about at the end of the road as far as coping emotionally and mentally.
I think that some sort of behavioural therapy may help in the long term but I dont have a clue where to start. Im not sure my GP would be terribly supportive either with it, but I suppose I wont know unless I broach him about it.
Nana
nana
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm

If you're unsure about your regular gp, is there another one at your surgery you could see and find out what they might be like.

With the counselling/therapy, one of the first things I found out was that a good rapport with the person you're working with is important. I was very lucky with the people I saw as they understood how anxious I was at first, so it was lead by me rather than them telling me what would be done, how long it would be done for etc.

Your experience with the counsellor sounds like something you'd get in a comedy programme :facepalm: :lol: :lol: I know I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it, I'm ever so sorry :D :D :D

When I finally got my appt for my first session, I was at rock bottom, so I was determined to get as much out of it as I could. One of the things I found helpful was a book recommended by the psychologist I saw. It deals with chronic pain, with one of the case examples used in it being a fibromite. I can't remember it's exact title and author details, but if you want I can dig it out and put the details on here for you. It might be somewhere for you to start with things :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sjc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello, hope you are ok today. To get a referral to mental health services, one has to have severe or enduring mental health problems, i.e., agoraphobia, bipolar, eating disorders, etc. Or your gp could refer you to a pyschtrist who will do an assessment on you to see if you need community support or talking therapies. I have moderate to severe fms aswell as mild autism, bipolar ii disorder and anxiety. I required seeing a pysciatrist or pyscologist to assess your mental health problems then go into the community mental health route, as diagnostic assessment are vital. Are you mental health problems because of having fms or have you experience mental health issues for another reason? If you are getting depressed due to fibro, then nhs pain clinics have pyscologists these days that specialize in pain aswell feeling down. Keep bugging your gp for more support, as it vital that both your mental and physical well being is sorted. Take care. Good nite. Xxxx :D
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby nana » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks for the answers.

Mental health support is as much of a nightmare as I thought then.

In fact it probably causes more trauma than its worth!

Nana
nana
UKFM Member

Postby insomniac79 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:35 am

My Doctor suggested I try alternative therapies to my pain, but I don't think any of them are very effective. I've tried things like Acupuncture and Yoga, but nothing helps like my medications do. The Yoga has made me more flexible and improved my back pain from a ruptured disk, but medication is the only treatment for my Fibromyalgia that actually works.
My health has been declining and my DR recommended I start eating more fruits & vegetables. If I plant seeds from a survival seed bank, which ones will be more beneficial to my health? What are the benefits of eating kratom in your diet?
insomniac79
UKFM Newbie

Postby tonydin » Fri May 20, 2011 6:33 pm

try hypnotheripy im so glad i did
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Sat May 21, 2011 12:55 am

Tony is the hypnotheripy the warm pool, and what is this thing about the toilet seat.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sat May 21, 2011 7:54 am

you lost me there budda . no i ment hypnosis ( look in to my eyes) for thr mental issues , and the toilet seat was the pain clinic wasteing my time telling me the correct way to get up of one gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Sun May 22, 2011 12:54 am

I know now that am losing it again :crazy: hehe.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sun May 22, 2011 8:50 pm

:lol: :lol: @ budda :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services