Has anyone heard of this FMS/ME clinic

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Has anyone heard of this FMS/ME clinic

Postby mothra » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope your day has been a good one. :)

Anyhoo, has anyone heard or has been treated by Professor John E. Davies who has clinics in London Bristol and Newport South Wales?

I have had Fibro for 9 years, and was taking Amitryptoline until a year ago (dirty nasty drug) and am having a flair up again. I was diagnosed by Dr Llewellyn at St Whollos Hospital but cant get to see him through my unsympathetic GP, so this is my only option. If anyone has any info, that would be great.

Cheers then
Mothra
mothra
UKFM Newbie

Postby Carolyn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Mothra,
Welcome :D
I'm lucky that I've seen Prof.Davies on the NHS , but if you ring Daniel Austen the Clinic manager on 01707 396611 you will find him very helpful and he will send you costs etc.
Hope this of help any questions just ask.
Gentle Hugs
Carolyn
Carolyn
UKFM Member

Postby somebody_else » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes, I've spoken to them and got their price lists etc. It's still too expensive for me even though I'd get the reduced rate, and the distance is too far for me to travel, but they're very nice people.
Hashimotos, CFS, FMS, PTSD, Anxiety. Gosh, I have more letters than the doctors who diagnosed me!
somebody_else
UKFM Member

Postby mothra » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:51 am

Nice one Carolyn and Somebody else,

I am a very suspicious and sceptical thang when it comes to private treatment centres and i like to get the low down :roll: So thanks for that.

Did his treatments give you good relief Carolyn? I am taking nothing at the moment just meditation, relaxation, excercise and trying hard to keep stress free.....but a good book is Mind over mood (Dr Llewellyn reccommended it to fellow fibro sufferers and the Dalai Lama swears by this technique, not that he suffers from it though! :wink: ) which is a workbook to help put moods into context. My brain is not working too good at the mo to be able to explain it properly, but i will try again later.

Somebody else, yep again cost prohibitive, why cant they give us more help on the NHS. The attitude with my GP is that 'youve had your diagnosis so just get on with it' nice.....

Again thanks and hope to chat again soon

Be good :)

mothra
mothra
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kristine » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:49 pm

HI,

You might try EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) the manual is free to download from www.emofree.com a lot of people get relief using this.

Kristine
Kristine
UKFM Member

Postby janj » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Mothra

You mentioned Amitriptyline and being (dirty nasty drug). I have been taking if for just under a week. It has had a huge effect on me. I feel doped up all the time, the pain has eased a little, but the side effects have been quite severe. I feel quite angry and very low.

What sort of side effects did you have, wondered why you referred to it in that way. I am a little worried about taking it.

I have a 4 year old and my hubby is going back to work this Thursday. I just don't know how I am gonna be able to take care of her. I also want to return to my part-time job in September. Not sure how tho, although we really need the money.

Just looking for suggestions or advice re ami...

Many thanks

Jan
janj
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Jan, I was put on amis and came off them as, like you I have a small child to look after. No way could I drive the car... 2 school trips to do in the morning and one after school.

I was a complete zombie all day no matter whan I took them.

Having said that it does work for some and it may take a week or 2 to get working properly so I would give it a bit longer but if there isn't any improvement then I would seriously think of stopping them. ((xx))
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby cat123 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm

hi everyone ,just another opinion about amitriptolene.If you are taking strong pain killers at he same time,both drugs together do zombie you out.Amitriptolene takes a good few weeks to work.I wouldent cut the ami out,just take less pain relief and give ami time to sort your sleep out.It will induce deep sleep,so you cope with the pain better.Once your deep sleep returns,then go back to pain killers,thats the time to stop the ami.Go and ask any pharmisist.I slept solid for 2 and a quarter years before i started the amitriptolene.The only time it gave me trouble was when i was taking strong pain killers at the same time!I took low dose ami,25 ml i think it was,you may have more pain at first,but remember fibro IS a sleep disorder...........cat
cat123
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services