Feel like just giving up, but can't.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Nigglez » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense and sorry in advance for and swear words that may slip out...

Well I've just got back from my monthly trip to the doctors, and to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I started off by saying that the increased dose of amitriptyline had helped to improve my sleep by about 70% I still have trouble getting to sleep at all some nights but others i actually sleep fine, although I'm still waking up in agony, shattered and napping the day away, he didn't seem to hear anything after 'it's getting better' he wouldn't up my antidepressants even after telling him what a horrid time I've been having with everything lately, I just felt he heard what he wanted to n wanted me to leave, he then went on to say that the dwp had asked him to stop writing me sick notes! How dare they! How dare they tell my medical professional that he is wrong!! That sick note was the only reason I suffered getting down to the doctors in the first place, I feel awful, it took me twice as long to get there, I literally hobbled the whole way, I was out of breath, sweating and uncomfortable in the waiting room, I was in agony! But my dwp sicknote ran out today and I needed it! He agreed that their decision was wrong and wrote my note, not before changing my diagnosis from 'fatigue symptoms' to 'depression and anxiety' great now it looks like I've been lying cause even my doctor can't make up his mind what is wrong with me!

I've struggled home and literally collapsed sobbing! I want to give up, but I can't. I've got no other choice but to continue to fight! Xx
Nigglez
UKFM Member

Re: Feel like just giving up, but can't.

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Don't give up Nic :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I know at the moment it's as if it's you against the world, but things will get better for you. Sadly, I can't tell you when or how, but they will improve :grouphug: :grouphug:

Was today's appt typical of what your gp is like, or are things normally very different?? There could be many reasons why he was like that with you, but regardless of the reason, we all deserve to be treated with professional courtesy at the very least :tongueout: :tongueout: You could always make a complaint about him if it has upset you to such an extent :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Nigglez » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm

No he's not normally like that at all, last time it was well we'll try this then if this doesn't work there's always this etc and we were talking about referrals I really thought I was getting somewhere, he's always said 'it sounds like fibro, but I'm not sure' so as lovely and understanding as he is, it's like he was determined to 'fix' me and change the diagnosis.

That's exactly how it feels at the moment, that everything's a fight. I'm sick of moaning and whinging now, so people MUST be sick of listening to it. It's not like me, no matter how bad things if got I've always kept a 'look on the brightside' attitude, but that's fading fast.

Has anybody else found the dwp have asked their gp to stop writing sick notes? As this left me fuming that they dared to question my doctors decision, he knows me, he wouldn't write one if I didn't need it. I felt like they were telling him he was wrong to write them, they know best and I'm not what he says I am.

Sorry for all the ranting, going to try and attempt a soak in a bubble bath, although my arms and legs are so sore and heavy if I manage to get in I might not manage to get out lol xxx
Nigglez
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 pm

I haven't heard about them asking drs not to write sick notes, but it's a long time since I've had dealings with anything like that, so my knowledge is a bit out of date. There could well be someone who knows more about it that can advise you :dunno: :dunno:

Hope you can manage to have your soak in the bath, and don't ever worry about moaning and whinging on here, we all understand what this rotten thing does to us and even if we haven't any advice for you, there's always [chocolate] [chocolate] :cake: :cake: :coffee1: :cup1: and plenty of :wine: :wine: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking1: :twodrinking2: :twodrinking2:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:26 pm

now none of you are going to like this question ,and i want to say i know how you feel and in the past iv been the same , but why do you need a sick note ?? is it because your of work , if so why not just go in to work and do only what you can rather than going sick all the time,
employers hate people going sick , they hate docs giving sick notes, docs are now under preasure not to give sick notes , to many people are not working because they feel they cant do it , or dont want to
the goverment is determined to have every one of sick back in to work , and i bet they end up doing it.
i see to many not working because of pain ect , when in reality they , could even though they dont realise it.
if your at work they have to malke adjustments for you and the rules start being on your side rather than agianst you.

thought about deleting this as it suounds so unfiar and unsupportive but sometimes the truth hurts , no such thing as a free lunch. been there tried that
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Tony, if I could find an employer who would readily adapt to what I would need to be able to work, then I'd give the job everything I possibly could. However, I was retired due to ill health by my previous employer and I've got worse since then, so where would someone like me fit into a working environment?? I can manage to do something very light for 10 minutes, then I need a break for 20-30 mins before I can carry on. I've tried the pushing on thru the pain approach and ended up in a really bad way physically, emotionally and psychologically.

In all honesty, would you employ someone like me??

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Adele » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:17 pm

the dwp asked my gp to stop writing sick notes when they decided i was too sick to work for a very long time if ever. this was years ago though.

tony - i found your comments insensitive and intimidating. i had a doctor visit me unexpectedly at home today. i have be told to stay in bed until next week. who the heck is going to wash and dress me and feed and water me?

there is of course nothing wrong with me except i'm a scrounger who doesn't want to go to work. i can't get enough of this screaming agony.
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby budda » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:08 am

I would love to work, at one time i had three jobs, when this happened to ME and was told i had FM i still tryed to work but i ended up in hosptal, it was my GP who said that i would never be able to go back to work again, i was very independant, so my body is telling ME that i cant do it anymore or i will suffer, its not ME who does not want to work, its this dam illness.
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 am

i would like to apoligoise for that post was having a bad day that day , i was not refering to any one in paticuler and with a fourum comments can be taken personaly , so im sorry to any one who took offence at it ,
espesialy adel who i can clearly see form her posts has major and serious heath problems.

i know i could be on the otherside of the fence at any time if things get worse .
once agian sorry.
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:44 am

hi tony
i am sure a lot of us did not take offence at your post
and i could see what you were saying.
unfortunately there are people that do have sick notes
and make things up :evil: that's why its so hard for us
that are in need to get any help.

have to say i am one that has pushed through my pain to get to work
and had to come to terms with i can not do it anymore :(
my body just gives up on me no matter how hard i try :(
but we all have to keep going so i just slap a smile on my face
and get on with what i can do

hope you are well today tony & hope the walking is going well :D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby budda » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 am

Hi Tony, we all have our bad days, sorry to hear this, hope you are feeling better soon :hugs: ,I do understand what you were trying to say, there are people out there who should be out working, i have seen it for myself, it makes things harder for us who do need the help.
budda
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services