specified medical condition/valid exemption certificate?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

specified medical condition/valid exemption certificate?

Postby Charlie28 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

I'm spending an absolutely fortune on pain killers, antidepressants and other fun things through prescription. Can we fibro people get any help? We do have a "specified medical condition" but want I need is a "valid exemption certificate" - does anyone have one or know how I can apply please?

Charlie :roll:
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Re: specified medical condition/valid exemption certificate?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:52 am

We don't qualify for free prescriptions unfortunately, but to save on charges you can buy a Prescription Prepayment Certificate. Here's the linky to it
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx
I have a 12 month one, pay for it over 10 months by direct debit and it save me an absolute fortune over the year. Doubt I'd be able to afford all my meds without it :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Charlie28 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks - so do you work f/t and earn over £16,000 pa?? I'm doing some income and benefits research at the moment and hoping that my drop in hours/money will mean I qualify for a bit of help.
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:06 pm

have a read of the back of a prescription to see the qualifying criteria for free prescriptions? anyone can buy a prepayment certificate irrespective of income. when i was on tax credits i had a prescription charge exemption certificate. i ow have a medical exemption certificate as i have one of the qualifying conditions, these conditins can be found online or just ask a pharmacist.

if you are on a low income you will have to fill in an HC1 form 'Claim for Help with Health Costs'. if you qualify for help, you will be sent an HC2 Certificate for full help, or an HC3 Certificate for partial help.

one of the criteria for a medical exemption certificate is - a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person. i'm now wondering if anyone on here has managed to get free prescriptions because of their fibro?

and why oh why oh why are there free prescriptions for all in wales, northern ireland and scotland. what did england do wrong? (recently? :lol: )

:grouphug: gentle squidges from adele and murph
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Charlie28 wrote:Thanks - so do you work f/t and earn over £16,000 pa?? I'm doing some income and benefits research at the moment and hoping that my drop in hours/money will mean I qualify for a bit of help.

I'm retired due to ill health, have been for almost 10 years. Hope your research is fruitful :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I have one due to diabetes but I also qualify for help (glasses, teeth etc.) because I have low income :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Charlie28 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks for the replies - I have today received an HC1 form to fill out; I'm not sure if I will qualify for full help as my income is low, but my partners income is average(ish) and that counts. What I will do, however, is point out that I have fibro and state that sometimes I do need help for my partner, I'm not sure if this will help. Even a partial certificate would be good though - travel costs to hosp for physio and prescription after prescription really mounts up.

thanks again.

Charlie
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:31 pm

if you receive any amount of tax credits/housing benefit/council tax benefit you automatically get help with free prescriptions etc. i'm talking pennies. if you get 1p of housing benefit you're sorted.

the form you want for refund of transport costs to medical appointments is the HC5(T) form. i get mine from the job centre.
Adele
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services