[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fibromyalgia PhD?

Fibromyalgia PhD?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia PhD?

Postby crochetkid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 am

Hi everyone!

I am a fellow FM sufferer, and was first diagnosed 14 years ago. I have just completed my degree in pharmacy, and after 6 years of hard study and battling through with FM and depression I finally collect my 1st class master of pharmacy degree (MPharm) this thursday! Hopefully I will make it up the steps onto the stage, but nothing is going to stop me collecting this, even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees!

I am interested in putting my degree to good use in research for FM. I am unable to work the long 9hr days in a pharmacy at the moment, so I have started to work for a pharmaceutical company here in Leeds, though I've still found this too difficult. When I was a student I could study when I could and rest when I needed to, but FM's unpredictability is proving incompatible with working even though I still feel like I must be able to do something useful!

So if anyone knows of any way I can get into FM research or of any contacts that might be able to point me in the right direction, I would be really grateful for any info. I will be badgering my lecturers when I go to my graduation on thursday too.

I hope you're on a good day, and for those that are having a bad one, big gentle fibro-hugs to you.

Best wishes

Emily (MPharm :lol: )
crochetkid
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia PhD?

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Big big big big big big congrats on your degree :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:

Fibroduck Foundation are fundraising to fund a research project, this is the linky to what they are hoping to do http://www.fibroduckfoundation.com/page15.html Wondered if it might be somewhere to start trying to find out what is being done and where in the research field :-? :-? :-?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby crochetkid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Fluppypuffy! Many thanks for all the woots! :lol: It is woot-woot indeed, and will be the proudest day of my life! :mrgreen:

Yes I saw this on fibroduck. Do you know where in the UK the researchers are based, or any way of contacting Puri or Monro?

Thanks
crochetkid
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Well done on Graduating very well deserved and I hope it will open a lot of doors for you, the best thing to do is contact fibroduck through the forum send him a PM and he will be able to give you all the necessary details or at least point you in the right direction, will be :woot: :woot: ing for you on Thursday :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:31 pm

:welldone: on Graduating :clap: :clap: :flowers: :woot: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby crochetkid » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Just thought I would post an update...I passed my very last exam ever, ever, hopefully! This is the one after my degree that allows me to enter the GPhC pharmacist register. So I will be a registered pharmacist from 1st November...YAY! Though my FM is too bad to work...BOO!

Gentle hugs to everyone xxx
crochetkid
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Do you have to do a post registration year , maybe you can do that through Locum work .

Hope you get something sorted , it would be a waste of a good Pharmacist and a listening ear.
:welldone: :welldone: :welldone:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 pm

:welldone: :welldone: :welldone: Nice update :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Bit of a :girl_moon: :girl_moon: about you not being able to put your new skills to use tho :( :( :(

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby maxtomads » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Wow!!! Well done you!!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby crochetkid » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks everyone! :-D

Iceskatemum - the pharmacy degree I did at Bradford Uni includes the pre-reg year split into two 6-month periods, one in 3rd year and one in 5th year. So fortunately I have done this and am ready to work as a pharmacist from 1st Dec.

In fact I think it was the final 6-month placement that brought my FM back big-time. I had adjustments at uni, but when it comes to placements they have to be full-time. I asked if I could do it part-time as a reasonable adjustment but the GPhC (pharmacy's regulatory body) won't accept placements as counting towards training unless they are full-time and completed in a fixed time. So I knew in advance that it would be difficult for me but I managed to limp through it, then totally crashed after a bad bout of flu towards the end of it, and still in that situation now.

I only managed to study for this recent exam by pacing myself and doing a little bit of studying each day when I felt like I could, so I was worried i had failed, but :-o I passed! In fact, I think the main reason I managed to get through the degree was the adjustments and support, but also that uni work has inbuilt peaks and troughs of activity and the vacations where I just used to recuperate. It seemed to suit my FM so well that I hardly noticed it...until I tried to work full time. So through this I have learnt I need to just work part-time, and preferably just an afternoon or so a week to start with, doing locum work. I worry though, about the fibro fog :-? and confidence is very low at the moment as I'm not managing to get out much.

I really do think though that my experiences over the years with depression, FM, taking loads of meds and all the side effects etc, that this helps me to be a good pharmacist. I do find it frustrating sometimes when I read some of the desperate posts on this forum, the way patients are treated so badly, and more worrying, that people aren't told enough about their medication and how to take it. I sometimes want to reply, but don't know how it will be taken. A good doctor should really explain, and if they haven't, it is the pharmacist's job to make sure the patient is given all the information they need to take their meds effectively and safely, and of course to be a listening ear when it all gets so frustrating.

If I could work from home that would be great! But this doesn't really work with pharmacy! Also I worry about booking in an afternoon's work and then not being well enough. I would still have to go. A pharmacy can't function unless a pharmacist is present. It's too unpredictable to say I'll be well enough to do an afternoon's work on the 3rd of December - if only we could plan it like that!

I've been doing bits and bobs of writing (though all this typing makes my hands sore), like I've written a couple of blog posts for Mind and the Time to Change campaign, and they have asked for my input on some of their policies because of the combination of 20yrs of meds and my training, so it is good to be able to do something, though of course this is all voluntary work. This is why I thought of a part-time PhD - it might be more suitable for me than the high-pressure environment of the pharmacy at the moment. Ho hum...I will just try to keep thinking of ideas and trying to keep positive - "hey, I still managed to pass a rock hard exam, even through all this pain and miserable feelings" :lol:

Thanks again for all the positive support ;-)

Gentle hugs (ouch!) ok, even gentler hugs! xxx
crochetkid
UKFM Member

Fibromyalgia PhD?

Postby Graham2304 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi I have fibromyalgia diagnosis 2012 also had paranoid scziophernia diagnosed in 2004. Latter passed in 2005 but getting tested for links, or should I say asking for them!
Graham2304
UKFM Newbie

Postby maxtomads » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi graham & welcome! I have a son with paranoid schizophrenia, he's been stable on meds for a few years now. Tough for you to get fm now after all you must have gone through then.

maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:16 pm

:welldone: :clap: :clap: :clap:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Research