Different types of walking aids?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Different types of walking aids?

Postby Lyssie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:02 pm

I have to use crutches (not just one stick on its own due to spinal weight distribution) and they are becoming right difficult to use in all honesty :( was wondering about other types of walking aids?! If you could help that'd be amazing xx
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Re: Different types of walking aids?

Postby penfriend » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:15 pm

dear Lysie, I've personally never been able to use walking aids, because of the weakness/pain of my arms, except some years ago a seat-stick which was useful then, but its been wheelchair for me since Jan.1990. I am sure many on here will be better able to advise.
Love penfriend
penfriend
UKFM Member

Postby maxtomads » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm

As a physio I work with all types of walking aids. If elbow crutches are becoming unmanageable the next stage is a walking frame. The nhs zimmers are very unattractive, but effective. There are numerous other types available - look either in a shop that sells aids to mobility or online. Just one point- if you get one that has a wheel on every leg then make sure it has hand operated brakes you can manage as otherwise they can run away with you & are lethal.
Good luck!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
maxtomads
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:53 pm

i agree with both people about either using a walker on wheels with maybe a seat too. Or using a wheelchair. I'e had to use mine for the past 6yrs. But i need to think about using crutches at home (don't have any at the moment).

hope that our paths cross again soon
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Return to Disability Products