[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hi all I am so scared of pain clinic

Hi all I am so scared of pain clinic

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi all I am so scared of pain clinic

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi all

I am very new to this site from what i have seen so far i like it!!! I have had Crohn's disease now for 10 years but over the last 12 months have been getting severe pain in what i thought was my joints as due to excessive use of steroids i have developed Osteoporosis. I saw my GP last week as i was at my wits end with all the pain i was in, in my joints she did loads of blood tests and i had to go back today for the results. Appart from my calcium levels being very low the rest were normal, so she has referred me to the pain clinic and requested that my gastroenterologist see's me as a matter of urgency and also need to see a rheumotologist as she doesn't think the pain is my joints!!! In fairness it was painful when she pressed the tissue at the base of my neck, shoulders, elbows and the muscle at the base of my spine, well its actually between the base of my spine and my left hip. I am very stiff in the morning but the worst pain is in my hips and groin, but i do get a lot of aching in the other area's, i have to roll to get out of bed and stand for a few minutes before i am able to move and then i must look like a penguin. The stiffness lasts for about 3 hours but the aching is constant and i am exhausted all the time and currently very depressed. All this time i thought it was related to the Crohn's/Osteoporosis but now i am suspected of having FM. I am desperate to get this constant pain under control as it is dragging me down.

As i am waiting to see someone at the pain clinic i am hoping to get some relief very soon, Can anyone tell me what to expect when i go to my appointment with the pain clinic? I am not looking forward to going but i know i have no choice if i want them to help me. I am currently taking dehydrocodeine 60mg 4 times a day and paracetamol. I also use ibubrufen gel to rub onto the affected area's. Due to having Crohn's disease i am not allowed to take any antimflatory drugs but at times in desperation i take ibubrufen tablets that i have bought over the counter which doesn't get rid of the pain but it eases it especially at night. Night time is by far the worst i rub gel on, take paracetamol, dehydrocodeine and temazepam and manage to get about 4 hours sleep, then it all kicks off my calves and thigh's go into spasm to the point where my foot goes numb and i am severley concious of the constant ache all over my body, this is when out of desperation i take ibubrufen tablets and use my tens machine to get some relief but even that is short lived. I am really scared of attending the pain clinic as i don't know what to expect, i feel a fraud saying that my pain is all over, but it is and i am so scared they won't believe me so i would be grateful for any help with this.

Millymoodoo :wave: xx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Hi all I am so scared of pain clinic

Postby shazq » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:19 pm

:welcome: to the forum Millymoodoo :wave:

I have crohns as well and have been in a flare with it for months :cry: so can understand how you are feeling. :hugs:

I have never been to a pain clinic but other members will be able to help you. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:57 pm

:welcome: to the forum Millymoodoo, i attened a pain clinic, theres nothing to it, went to speak to the pro about my pain and he surrgested to try me on new meds, then ask if i would attened a group meeting with other people who suffer from other illnesses, did not do much for ME, but you might feel that it will help you, everyone is different :goodluck1:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:02 pm

:wave: Millymoodoo :welcome: to the forum.

Sorry to hear what you're going thru at the moment :? :? Hope your various appts can give you some answers to what is happening :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

I haven't been to a pain clinic, but as shaz has already said, there are several people on here who have been to them. Maybe having a look thru the various posts on here might give you some ideas of what you could expect when you go.

There is a lot of info and advice on here, and just ask if there's anything you want to know :chicken-dance:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:17 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: hi welcome to the forum
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby bo peep » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Hiya.
I'm new on here too but really liking it.
Try not to worry too much about your appointment..
I've been to pain clinic. The consultant will just have a chat with you, maybe discuss some alternative treatments or meds that you can try. Really nothing too horrendous.
Certainly wasn't in my case anyway. :goodluck1: xx
bo peep
UKFM Newbie

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi all

Thank you so much for your kind replies i really appreciate it. Its good to know that i am talking to people who really understand what i am going through. I am a bit concerned at the minute as i seem to get very breathless at the slightest thing ie putting out the washing or going upstairs, i can hardly catch my breath. I am not sure if it is connected with the Crohn's disease or FM. Does anyone else have symptoms like these?

Millymoodoo :( xx
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Milly
If its a new symptom to you its best to mention it to your GP, it might not have anything to do with crohns or fibro so its always best to get any new pain or problem looked at. :goodluck1: sure everything will be ok. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Niblet » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi Milly, I get short of breath randomly. Mostly from doing something that you wouldn't expect to get short of breath from like carrying clothes to washing machine or just walking in the front door. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it but I assume it is down to the fibro although I haven't mentioned it to anyone. Also I have been to the pain clinic. They just help with medication and have given me injections under x -ray guidance too but that hasn't really helped. I have also had trigger point injections from Professor Davies which have really helped. Good luck with the pain clinic - hope they can help you. :)
Niblet
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Niblet, if you have a look at the posts from pixiecat on this linky, I hope it will show why we suggest about having new, strange, worsening and/or worrying symptoms checked out. Please don't think I'm trying to scare you into a visit to your gp, it's just that shortness of breath can be due to various reasons, and if it due to something other than FM, the earlier it is found, the better it can respond to treatment.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ru3ies » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Hiya, I have been to the pain clinic. There is nothingto fear their main aim is to help you get through life with the least amountof pain as poss. Using life style and tablet changes. They are very informal and if it's for you it can make a big difference over a period of time. I hope you go and they can help you get your life back on track. I also am a newbie so hopefully we can give and receive to the site in some way. xx :wave:
ru3ies
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello