new to site, looking for people in my area

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

new to site, looking for people in my area

Postby Bee22 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:21 am

hello, I am new on here, and am hoping to find some fellow sufferers in my local area?? I live in a small village near Dorking , Surrey.

I am a 34 year old female, and I suffer from HMS, Fibromyalgia, MCS, allergies and eczema.

I have had a very bad few months where i have had chronic tendonitis in both arms and bursitis in both hips, making it very painful for me to walk, or lift things, or to do any normal day to day chores / activities. I was put on steroids for a week, but they have not really helped. As a result of all this I have put on weight, which is a catch twenty two.... more weight, more stress, more pain.

I cannot drive which makes getting around very difficult, and the village I live in has no public transport :(

I am also unable to work because of my health, and am currently waiting to hear if i have qualified to get DLA???! I am getting incapacity benefit but it is a struggle to survive on just that.

Very few people around here can understand what is wrong with me... because i look normal on the outside ( aside from the eczema!) so
as a result i only really have one real friend, and no social life to speak of... I have stopped going out in the last two years because having to continually explain myself to people is just too darn stressful and upsetting!

It would be really really nice to find someone local who just "gets" me, because they know what its like...

it would be nice to find someone to go out with occasionally. I would also like to find someone brave enough to go with me to the UV treated (low chlorine, MCS friendly) pool in Guildford... I cant actually swim :? BUT i would really like to try to lose some weight and strengthen my joints by walking about in water... ive read that it is the best thing?! (I am now registered as disabled, so am eligible for concessions) Unfortunately my friend is too busy to go with me... she has kids, and a job, and a life!!!!... and i am too self conscious and scared to go alone :oops:

So if anyone local is reading and looking for a fellow sufferer / confidente, please do get in touch!!

Thanks for reading
Bee22
UKFM Newbie

Re: new to site, looking for people in my area

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 pm

:wave: Bee :welcome: to the forum :wave:

Sorry to read how things are for you, FM does seem to isolate us from people who don't understand how it affects us :facepalm: :facepalm: I'm nowhere near you I'm afraid, but this linky has details about FM support groups in your general area http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/fm-support-groups/groups-south-east.html If there is one that is near to you, maybe going to a meeting would help you find a fellow fibromite near to you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Now you've joined us, you can have a rant, a :lol: :lol: :lol: and join in with the general :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: If there's something you want to know about, just ask and we'll see what we an do to help you with it :hugs: :hugs: We do our best to support each other as well as sharing things with someone who understand, even in a cyber way, can help make a real difference :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:40 pm

HI Bee :welcome: to the forum :wave:

I know there is a support group in Guildford but there might be one nearer to you.
Here is a link for the south east area :- http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/fm-suppor ... -east.html

You could also put a post up in the support group thread to see if there are other members living in your area. :goodluck1:

Its a shame you are not nearer as i meet up with some fibro friends for lunch in Frimley surrey.

any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi Bee and :welcome: to the forum :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Bee22 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Just a quick thankyou to those who read and replied to my original post (at the top) and thankyou for the welcome.
Fingers crossed I will find someone close by soon. x
Bee22
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm

No probs kale, you'll get used to the :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: soon. It's always good to know we've got reliable things on here :clap: :clap:

Bee, there is always someone around on here for advice, chatting and a bit of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I've done a bit of Googling to see what there is around you, support group wise, and found this. It's from a list of grants that were awarded several years ago, but it might give you somewhere to start
Fibromyalgia Support Group
Surrey & Sussex Holmbury St. Mary Parochial Church Council
Holmbury St. Mary, Dorking

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bee22 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Dear moderators...

Is there any way you could split this thread into two separate posts / topics, as I am worried that people are reading / commenting on the other subjects and overlooking my original request for local sufferers ??! :?

If thats possible I would be grateful

Thankyou
Bee22
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 pm

I've split it up for you Bee. There are some posts that were made to both of you which I can really do much with, so they've had to stay where they are.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello