[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - help!

help!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

help!

Postby jane.k » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 am

hi. im jane. i started on gabapentin a week and a half ago i am on 600mg a day, the pain has not gone but they are helping and im getting great nights sleep. The problem is i have to get up at 5.30 am to go to work as a bedder in a college which i am desperately struggling with. I have to climb alot of stairs and do very physical work. I had to have a few days off last week to get used to the tablets and yesterday i had to leave 2 hours early as i would of been asleep otherwise! I dont want to give up the tablets as im hoping i will get used to them and i dont want to give up my job for financial reasons, but its a struggle to get up and get going, im in a fog that feels worse than fybro fog. I have a week off next week so i think i will ask if i can shorten my hours for this week and hopefully when i get back i will feel better. It really helps to have somewhere like this to get things off your chest :-) Any advice would be great thanks
jane.k
UKFM Member

Re: help!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 am

:wave: Jane :welcome: to the forum. I've moved your post into here as you'll probably get more responses with it being your first post.

I haven't had the delights of gabbapentin yet, there are quite a few on here that are on it tho. From what I've read, the feeling groggy that you're experiencing at the moment seems to be quite typical when you start taking them, but as it starts to build up in your system, the groggyness does ease off :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

With you saying how it's affecting you at work, might it be worth talking to your GP to see if the increases in your dosage can be done over a longer time to try and minimise any possible side effects, such as the foggyness??

If there's anything else you want to know, just ask and we'll see what we can do to help you with it. When you get chance, have a look thru some of the other posts as well, you might come across some helpful things :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby chuckles » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 am

:wave: hello jane what time do u take your tablets?
i used to have all my tablets at 10.00 and found it very hardto get up
in the mornings .i now take them all at 7.oopm and im up by 8.00am.
hope this helps u :fingerscrossed:
chuckles
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 am

Hi Jane :welcome: to the forum :wave:

You might find taking your meds of an evening will be better as you will be sleeping off the side effects.
The meds should settle down, they can take a couple of weeks but if you are still having problems after this then go back and see your gp they might reduce the dose until your body gets used to it.
Hope things settle down soon :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

Hi Jane and :welcome: to the forum, I cant add much to the advice you have already been given so :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: the side effects wear off soon, by the way what is a bedder?????
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jane.k » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 pm

:wave: hi everyone. Thank you so much for your lovely welcome. I spoke to my boss and im doing 4 hours instead of 6 for a couple of days to see how i get on. I'm also going to see the doctor tomorrow and see what she thinks.
I take the tablets at 6pm to get up for 5.30 am, but could happily sleep longer :D Denys, a bedder is a bedmaker, i look after students and fellows at a cambridge university.
The foggyness wears off in the afternoon so maybe a change in hours is needed. anyway thanks for your replies, so good to know you all understand! soft hugs

jane :grouphug:
jane.k
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:32 pm

:fingerscrossed: The reduced hours will help you. :goodluck1: :hugs:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby busy mummy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi there

Sounds as if you have a really understanding employer which is out of the ordinary, lucky you.

Keep talking to them, and :fingerscrossed: they will keep up the co-operation.

Hang in there with the meds, most take 2 - 3 weeks to fully settle, and then you have to start to build youself up again.

My advice as one newbie to another is, get as much info on board as you can about fibro, docs usually warn against self diagnosis, but in our case I beleive that fore warned is fore armed, certainly has helped me cope with the :swear1: and the :dunno: and the :crazy:

:blowkiss:
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 pm

ooowwww that must take it out of you, :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for your reduced hours, take care and dont forget to pace :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 pm

hi jane :wave: :wave:
good to have you with us :D
i am on gabbers, they do make you feel you are away with the fairy's for a little while
but you will get used to them.

its good you have a understanding boss :clap: :clap: :clap:
and the shorter hours will help
as denys said remember to pace, take your time doing things
and slowly on them stairs :yikes:
take care :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello