Hello and ... help!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello and ... help!

Postby MedStudent » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with FM since the age of 15 (although really I've had symptoms since I was 13/14). I'm now 21 and the symptoms have, if anything, gotten worse. I'm a medical student, so I'm (unhelpfully to the FM) doing a very stressful course. I'm currently on amitriptyline and I'm really not sure how much it's doing for me besides reducing the standard 'baseline' migraine and pain that I have every day. In terms of management I avoid bright lights/noises/sounds/tastes/smells, stress and over-exertion etc (I used to be one of those really annoying athletic types that never stopped).
I'm looking to lifestyle-manage the FM more as I really don't want to upgrade to the anti-convulsants or opioid pain-killers until it's absolutely necessary. So I'm posting on here with this horribly long message to introduce myself and ask anyone if they have any personal techniques for FM management! I've found that there's a difference between what the literature tells us what will make us feel better and what actually DOES help, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Elle
MedStudent
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello and ... help!

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Elle :welcome: to the forum :wave:

You might find things like yoga or pilates might help to relax you or even listening to music, as avoiding stress is a must as it will trigger a flare.
A Tens machine is good for pain.

A memory foam topper is a great help for the achy bones, they are so comfy, they help with the morning stiffness.

Learn to listen to your body and pace, if it's telling you need a break then take one. :hugs:

My head is foggy tonight :facepalm: iam sure the others will give you some better tips. :wine:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:35 pm

:wave: Elle :welcome: to the forum :chicken-dance:

It must be difficult studying medicine and trying to manage FM all at the same time :facepalm: :facepalm: I think you're doing incredibly well managing it with lifestyle methods, with how it makes me feel using just amis would mean I was unable to get out of bed :facepalm: :facepalm:

The closest I get to using lifestyle management is avoiding similar things to what you do, using heated wheaty bags, hottie botties and soaking in a warm bath. I try to eat as healthily as I can and exercise as much as my FM lets me.

You're right that there is a difference in what is said in the literature about FM and what it is like to live with it. The literature seems to just concentrate on the basic physical side of things, whereas we have to deal with the psychological and emotional impact it has, as well as the daily physical problems and limitations.

Shaz has mentioned some of the things a lot of us use to help. This linky will take you to a part of the forum which has various other things we've found useful for FMhttp://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10032If you have a look thru some of the posts on here you might find some tips to help you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Elle and :welcome: to the forum :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 pm

hi elle
welcome to the forum :wave: :wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 am

LOts of good advice above...

Pace is a main factor, dont push yourself to far always have time to do some relaxation techniques even if its just do some breathing exercises a few times a day

CBT therapy is a great way to learn how to help manage symptoms
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tnissan38 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome to the forum elle . fingers crossed you get the advice on here you need ,love . best wishes Tracey xxx
tnissan38
UKFM Member

Postby MedStudent » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! It's really nice to find other FM sufferers (although obviously I wish none of us had it), as I've had the condition for about seven years I've not really branched out onto forums until now.
I shall try all that you suggest; thank you very much for the tips. It's all whale song and waterfalls from now on! :P
My GP did suggest CBT, but the waiting list in Surrey is more than half a year so I think I'm going to try the Expert Patient Programme first. It's free and you can do internet courses if you're not well enough to get out and about. I'll post the link here - I hope someone finds it useful! If I do it I'll also let you lovely people know how I found it. :)

http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/

Elle xx
MedStudent
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi Elle, thanks for the link, funnily enough I am booked on an XPERT Diabetes programme from the 16th August its a 4 week 21/2 hour programme so hopefully I'll find it useful :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ninja » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi Elle. I'm also 21, I was diagnosed last Friday, but have had symptoms scince about the age of 7. I'm a Dental nurse and I work full time, just finished my course that I was doing at the same time as working, very stressful. I think working so much pushed my FM to the limit which is why i finally got diagnosed. When I'm at home I try to rest as much as I can so that I am able to work, but looks like I won't be able to do this for.much longer :(
Hope you can finish your Med course and just try to stay as stress free as possible :/

I have a memory foam topper and it's very comfy! also wheat bags help with aches and pains

Someones mentioned bee pollen, apparently it helps with energy and immunity. might be worth a try. Google vonnybee, it tells u all about it

hope I've helped a little

Ranina
Life isn't about surviving the storm, it's learning how to dance in the rain
Ninja
UKFM Member

Postby MedStudent » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Thank you for the advice! I do have a foam topper and it is very helpful; the pain without one is horrible!
Good luck with the Dental Nursing; I hope you continue to manage your job and the FM. :)

Elle
MedStudent
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello