Newly Diagnosed(ish)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly Diagnosed(ish)

Postby nick79 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi my name is Nicky,
I'm from Preston ,Lancashire and I've now pretty much been diagnosed with fibro, (as long as my bloods come back clear for an Autoimmune the rheumy was concerned about).

Confusing time really as It's sort of a relief after being told for the last year my symptoms were all down to stress, but also disappointing as now I know it won't be going away :?

Meds wise I've been given Amitriptyline 10mg to try starting today and I was wondering how people cope with the odd social occasion with this drug, as says do not drink alcohol, I have a night out at the end of the month and would like a cheeky drink or two. Am I OK to skip my tablet that night and I'll be fine, or is drink a total :nono:
Also worried about becoming a Zombie on it as well as seems like the way I'll have to take it is purely so I can function at work, as need to take early in the evening so not too doped up in the morning so seems like the only hours I'll be effectively alive are my working hours (from what I've read, hopefully not the case as will suck)

Thanks for all the info on the site and any help than can be offered xx :D
nick79
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly Diagnosed(ish)

Postby shelleydwales » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi! Well everyone is diffrent,but im on all sorts and drink now and again.
My gp said it makes the effect of alchol stronger,so be carefull.I dont skip a dose,i take it after.
I had a glass of vino at home to see how i would be rather than being out :wine: :welcome:
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:17 pm

:welcome: to the fibro club Nicky :wave:

You're in good company here with plenty of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: to get you thru what FM throws at us :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:

Like shelley has said, we all react differently to the meds, so it's not easy to say if you'll be zombified with the amis :dunno: :dunno: If you have a look thru posts about amis, you'll see that others have found that taking amis at a time suitable to them helps with how they fall asleep, and also with waking up feeling more human the following day. There could be something in there that helps you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

I've had the occasional drink on my current meds cocktail, all it seems to do to me is speed up the squiffy feelings, which means I'm a very cheap date these days :wine: :wine: :wine: You could try shelley's suggestion of trying at home to see what happens to you. Personally I wouldn't skip a dose, but that's me. I'd stick to the soft stuff, with maybe a little drink of something slightly more potent.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

:welcome: to the forum Nicky

Some meds can take up to 4 weeks to kick in so you might not notice any affect straight away.
10mg is a low dose so you should be ok having the odd drink but like flup said i wouldnt skip a dose. Meds affect people differently you might find that 10mg is enough to get you through the night, i used to be on 100mg but i am down to 75mg now and they dont help me sleep at all :lol: :lol: i still need sleeping meds :facepalm:

Ami`s are a good starting med as they help with sleep, pain and with a higher dose depression. :goodluck1: on them.

Any questions just ask. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nick79 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks guys really appreciate the responses,

will perhaps have a trial drink the week before I my night out. Will have to see how I get on without alcohol on the Ami's first :) xx
nick79
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Nicky and :welcome: to the forum :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Lindsays82 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am

Hi Nicky

:welcome:

i am on amitriptyline and i have the occasional glass of wine or social drink, i take my meds at 7pm now to avoid the hangover effect the next day but when i drink i just find that i get tipsy easily- i'm a cheap date. i never skip a dose but maybe like the others have said have a trial in the house to see how you react.
Lindsay

JUST BECAUSE I LOOK NORMAL TO YOU IT DOESN'T MEAN I AM NOT IN PAIN OR BEING LAZY!
Lindsays82
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello