Fibro and hypermobility

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and hypermobility

Postby madcrafter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has both of these conditions. I'd be really interested in speaking to anyone who has or has experience of both.
Thanks Ann-Marie
madcrafter
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fibro and hypermobility

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:06 pm

:welcome: to the forum Ann-Marie :wave:

I've moved your post here as you should get a better response. There are some members on here who suffer with both FM and hypermobility. Do you suffer with both of the conditions :?: :?:

Maybe if you told us a little more about yourself and what you're wanting to know about the 2 conditions, then we could possibly try to help you with things :dunno: :dunno:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:42 pm

:welcome: to the forum Ann-Marie

We have a few members who have the both, if you have a read around the forum you will come across a few posts on hypermobility & fibro. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby busy mummy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Anne Marie.

I am hypermobile. I was dx with this at same time as fibro. i was a bit confused because i thought being double jointed was just one of those things you were born with, and was good for scaring school friends with your freaky fingers and toes!!

I only have my spine and knees unnafected, i have done some reading up and it seems to be a widely held view that if you have lots of hypermobile joints then you stand a pretty good chance of ending up with fibro too, especially with any trauma to the body, in my case ceasarian section.

Sarah x
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Fibro and hypermobility

Postby Lorrie82 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi I suffer wiv both. I was diagnosed wiv hypermobility way b4 I was diagnosed fm. I do suffer alot in the joints that r hypermobile which is the majority of my body , wiv hypermobility it makes ya joints weaker where they r so flexible which then makes the fm flare up more. Is there any particular question about the 2 u would like some advise on. Xxx

---
Last edited by denys on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no advertising allowed on this forum
Lorrie82
UKFM Member

Postby madcrafter » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.
I do suffer with both and was really just interested in hearing that there were others out there.
I was also dx with both at the same time and am finding it easy to understand but difficult to deal with. I'm looking for tips on how to stretch to benefit my fibro but not do damage or cause a flare with the hypermobility.
Any other words of wisdom with be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks in Advance, Ann-Marie
madcrafter
UKFM Newbie

Postby busy mummy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:42 am

Hi again

My physio advised to just do very small amounts of strengthening exercise each day.

For example, my feet and toes are hypermobie and really affect my balance , to the point where i find it impossible to squat without losing my balance.

when i go to make a cuppa, whilst the kettle is boiling, i just go up on my tiptoes, up and down, nice and slow a few times,maybe only 3 maybe 10 depends on other symptoms , but it does seem to really help,

Dont have much more strength as such but definitely noticed reduction in that awful cracking evey time i put my foot to the floor.

Onwards and upwards!!!

Sarah
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 pm

madcrafter wrote:Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.
I do suffer with both and was really just interested in hearing that there were others out there.
I was also dx with both at the same time and am finding it easy to understand but difficult to deal with. I'm looking for tips on how to stretch to benefit my fibro but not do damage or cause a flare with the hypermobility.
Any other words of wisdom with be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks in Advance, Ann-Marie

Have you asked your GP about physio?? You'd need someone who understands both conditions, but there could be some gentle stretching type things and/or gentle exercises to help loosen tight muscles and help increasing the stability of your joints :dunno: :dunno: :? :?

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:59 pm

Lorrie82 your link has been removed as there is a policy of no advertising on this forum
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Fibro and hypermobility

Postby Lorrie82 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

Oh I didn't know I'd added a link. Sorry if I did but I don't know how I've done it. Lol.
Lorrie82
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 am

It's this linky at the bottom of your posts
it takes you to a Google maps page that mentions some sort of web design company.

I've removed it from your latest post as well

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Fibro and hypermobility

Postby Lorrie82 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Oh ok god know. Any idea how to stop that link then.xx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: another link removal as advertising on the forum is not allowed
Lorrie82
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:30 pm

With it being on your posts Lorrie, it must be something you are adding to each of your replies.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Fibro and hypermobility

Postby Lorrie82 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:24 am

I'm doing my replies on my phone as laptop broken. I write a reply and press send and that's all. Has anyone got any ideas how I can stop the link that's seem to b attached to all my replies. I'm new to all this so getting frustrated how to stop it. Thanks :-)
Lorrie82
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Your latest posts haven't had the linky on them. I'm wondering if it's something to do with a registration on google maps or something :dunno: :dunno:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Where to Say Hello