Have I got it?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Have I got it?

Postby jean » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi there everybody, I am Jean, and I live in Nottinghamshire. I cannot remember the first time I became a member of this forum. If someone in the know could tell me, I would be grateful. I think I looked up this forum when I was getting discomfort from body pain but it was put to one side when in September last year, I was diagnosed with PMR. This is a rhuematic disorder where you need steroid treatment. Since the diagnosis, I have been on steroids and felt a new woman, (obviously because they mask any pain). Now after coming off the steroids for three weeks my body is now racked with the muscle pain again. I am waiting for a blood test but I was hoping someone out there could tell me " can fibromyalgia be diagnosed through a blood test"? MY doctor seems to agree with me that I may have been suffering with one thing and then the PMR took over. Any ideas would be gratefully received. If there is a way to find out the date I first contacted this website, that would be good too.
jean
UKFM Member

Re: Have I got it?

Postby denys » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm

You joined on dec 26th 2009 Jean so :welcome: back we cant say if you have FM it needs to be professionally diagnosed, but is one of those conditions that mask others so blood tests are used to rule out other conditions and so a negative blood test is a step towards diagnosis together with other test results :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jean » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Hello Denys. thanks for the reply, I really did think that I had these symptoms a long time ago, I just began to believe people when they said "its your age". I did read that ME and fibromayalgia is thought by some to be the same thing, but so far I have not felt like I cannot do anything even if doing hurts. I do get very tied in the evenings though. I thought people who suffer with ME were really housebound and could not do much. Nice to meet you and will be watching this site and will come back once I get blood test results. Bye for now Jean
jean
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 pm

:welcome: back Jean :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:28 pm

We'll be waiting Jean :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:03 am

jean wrote: I did read that ME and fibromayalgia is thought by some to be the same thing, but so far I have not felt like I cannot do anything even if doing hurts. I do get very tied in the evenings though. I thought people who suffer with ME were really housebound and could not do much.

:welcome: back jean, it's always nice to have members come back :wave:

There are all sorts of thoughts and ideas as to what FM is, what causes it, if it's the same as ME etc. Being dx'd with FM or ME doesn't mean that you will be housebound. It affects us all so very differently, so whilst there will be those who find their mobility greatly affected, other may be more mobile. Just because someone is affected differently it doesn't mean they don't have FM, they simply have their version of it.

The same applies with being housebound or being able to go out. Some people find that the physical and psychological affects of FM leave them struggling to go out, whilst another will fine about it, irrespective of how badly they are affected.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby jean » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi there again. Just to say thanks for all the replies. Thanks also for telling me I was obviously having problems way back at Xmas 2009. The years go so quickly and I think constantly going to the doctors surgery make it go quicker. I am not having a good time with aches and pains at the moment and It worries me that I wake with aches, (how can you hurt before getting out of bed). I am lucky that I have a good partner and hes no chicken but he does do a lot around the house. I have just had to ask him to clean a roasting tin for me, simply because my right upper arm is my worse place for pain. It is so annoying. Anyway, its more annoying to have to wait a week for a blood test. Apparently its a bad time being bank holiday and staff on holidays etc. Be back as soon as I get a result. Bye for now.
jean
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello