What brings on fybromyalgia

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What brings on fybromyalgia

Postby janbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 am

Hi Im Janet im 54 have daughter 30 and son 29, married to Al for yonks. We have two rabbits, two horses, dog and cat. I have had fm for 12 years. Reading all the syptoms other sufferers have had put mine into context. Was a legal secretary until suddenly the bad headaches (always suffered with migraine) but these headaches were worse. I just wanted to jump through a glass window to stop the pain in my head. One Saturday am couldnt wake up properly, couldn't walk, ached and was exhausted. Followed on by the pins and needles and tingling sensation in my arms, It was like my body was being invaded by something, thats why I agree in that it is an autoimmune illness. I can not wear tight clothes only elastic waistbands nothing on my spine or on my hips/thighs thats too tight. I think fm is brought on like a mini stroke, i.e. a breakddown of your body. I can walk but not too far or the legs, back, hips/thighs ache, ankles and knees. My body has failed me
janbo
UKFM Newbie

Re: What brings on fybromyalgia

Postby denys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am

Hi and :welcome: to the forum Janet :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby busy mummy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi Janet,

They do say that fibro can be brought on by a particularly stressful experience, leading to changes in brain chemistry which would ordinarily subside naturally. in fibro it seems that,if the chemistry has been changed over a prolonged period it fails to subside, and leves the sufferer in permanent 'fight or flight' mode due to elivated stress hormones.

The other theory is it is caused by a physical trauma. in my case the birth of my Daughter by ceasarian section. its not clear though in my case whether it was the surgery or the spinal anasthetic which triggered the fibro.

I have wondered lately whether to take up a case against the maternity department. They left me struggling for 4 hours, my daughter on a heart monitor and clearly in trouble. It wasnt until the morning shift came on, and did the rounds, I remember distinctly the Doctor and anesthetist saying "what the :swear1: is she still doing here" within 10 minutes I was in theatre. When they finally were able to put the spinal block in ( they broke 3 needles in my back before getting it in right) my daughter was born, and taken straight to SCBU as she had a blood sugar count of 0.5. Fortunately she was ok within a few hours and has suffered no lasting effects.

Me though , i am stuck with this ball and chain we call fibro. I had a "specislist consultant" during my pregnancy as i have a history of depression. Not sure if this should have indicated to them the possibilty of fibro or other complications but the "specislist" basically asked if I was in a stable relationship, did I feel supported, did I lately think of doing myself in, and then promptly discharged me!!!

Needless to say I am not planning any more children!!!

Sarah
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:45 pm

:welcome: to the forum janet :wave:

What sarah (busy mummy) has said about the potential causes of FM are some of the ideas behind it's causes. Altho research is ongoing (shaz has posted a linky to some very recent work :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: ) there is still so much that is not known about the condition :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:14 pm

:welcome: to the forum Janet :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello