Hi, I'm a newbie with FM and freaking out!!!!!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hi, I'm a newbie with FM and freaking out!!!!!

Postby ruthg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi to you all,

My name is Ruth, I am so pleased to meet you all :D

I have been suffering with pain for three years and have gone through the mill trying to found out what was wrong. I guess you all know whats thats like.

I had to finally give up work back in May and am finding it very hard to come to terms with. I still wake up in the morning panicing that i'm running late for work. I dream about work all the time as well. This all makes me sound like I was a workaholic, but I really wasn't! I can't understand why I am freaking out about this so much.

I have been trying to sort out benefits for myself but this seems too much to ask for. I have finally got an appointment for a medical assessment on thursday and i'm very worried. I have heard how awful these appointments are.

Typically all the worry about this appointment is affecting my fm and am feeling terrible and worried I will not be able to concentrate and I won't answer the questions right or as my memory is bad on a good day that I won't remember anything and basically screw the whole thing up. If anyone has any tips they would be gratefully received.

I hope I haven't rambled on too much but I haven't had anyone to talk to about any of this.

Thank you all for being here,
Ruthg
xxxxxxxx :D
ruthg
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hi, I'm a newbie with FM and freaking out!!!!!

Postby Lubilou » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Didn't want to read and run. I'm new too!

Just wanted to say that i feel the same as you, out of my depth and stressed.

I need to sort out what i'm going to do with my work life, i'm not sure how long i can carry on at the moment.
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby holmess » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Ruth :wave:
I'm afraid I can't give you much advice but just to say I hope all works out OK for.
I've just gone back to work after 4 months off, I'm part-time for 2 weeks but don't know how I'll manage full time. :( :( :(
I just can't bear the thought of having to tackle the benefits system...my full respect to all those of you who have ventured into this I know it's not made easy for you. :crazy:
Good luck to all of you who are going through this process at the moment :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

take care
sharon...
holmess
UKFM Member

Postby busy mummy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Ruth,

First things first. Freaking out is an absolute no no, as you will have read many times on here, fibro loves stress like pre-menstrual women love chocolate. I know its easier said than done but you need to stop panicking.

Next, take someone with you to the appointment, this is allowed,and it can be anyone. Chose the most level headed person you know, they will help you to keep it together and can help you with any tricky questions. You dont have to inform the ATOS (charlatans) beforehand, just let them know when you arrive that you want someone with you.

Now we have that bit sorted, do some preparation. Keep a diary of some sort, or note down things that you used to do that you cant any more, things that you want to do but find a struggle, things that you never did before that you have to do now. Not only will it make you less nervous on the day, it will help with all the muddled up things going on in your head (which by the way, for us, is perfectly normal). Take the notes with you, plus any info you have about your medication.

If it comes to it and they dont award enough points, appeal immediately. You should get payed at a reduced rate , which is crap but better than nothing , if the appeal is turned down go to tribunal, they still pay the reduced rate while the tribunal is heard. You can get advice on how to approach the tribunal application if it goes that far, and if you are successful, they have to pay you the money they have been holding back.

Hope this helps and :fingerscrossed:

Go get 'em girl :goodluck1:

Sarah xx
busy mummy
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm

hi ruth :wave:

i agree with all sara has posted.
you are worrying about work so much that you are dreaming about it
you do need to try and calm down.

i do know how you feel as i have had to stop work, well i am on a sick note
but there is no way i would be able to go back
and i had dropped my working days right to 1 day a week.

just because some people have had a real bad time with these meetings
dose not mean you will.
hope all goes well and you can stop worrying so much
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi Ruth and :welcome: to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Ruth :welcome: to the forum. :wave: :goodluck1: with your medical. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:27 pm

:welcome: to the forum Ruth :wave: :wave:

I was going to post a similar thing to what busy mummy has said, she's given you some good advice.

:goodluck2: with your medical thing, altho the nightmare stories spread round quickly, there are people who have a better experience, so hopefully you'll be lucky and end up with a human being doing yours :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ruthg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Thank you all for your support.I can't believe how you all have got back to me so quickly.THANK YOU :D :D :D

I have read all your advise very carefully. I know panicking will not help, I'm trying not to. My doc has offered me a sort term perscription of diazapan but I take 23 tablets a day already, so don't want to had to them. Perhaps I should :wine: more. I already eat [chocolate] .

I have asked my mum to come in with me. We had a discussion today I asked her not to be too chatty (she loves a good chat)! I like the idea of taking notes with me, what qualifies? Can't go shopping as can't walk that far! Can't do the hoovering, can't get in shower!!! Is it things like this? I achually take a list to my GP already as I can never remember what I'm surposed to be asking her. The whole doctors now ask me if I have my list as soon as I walk in!!! Well its good to be famous!

Once again thank you all. I don't know anyone with this or even heard of it , so people don't understand the pain and I am sure alot think I make it up. thanks to you I now know that I not completely crazy :crazy: . I find a little crazy helps alot though!!!!! :crazy:

Ruthg :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:
xxxxxxxxxxxx
ruthg
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 pm

A bit of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: definitely helps :clap: :clap:

They should use your claim form as the basis for your assessment, so if you made notes before you completed it, then they might be helpful to take with you. If your mum helps you with anything or has seen you in really bad situations and states, then let her add her answers to questions about it as well, as it might help with things :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

be careful and do your research with everything. theres a lot to take in.

i applied for esa and did not get anything as i did not have enough ni contriubtions and menas tested my oh earnt too much so after a year of appealing told not entitled to anything in end :cry:

and watch the chocolate just weighted myself on wii last night and have put 8bls on in 3 months. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hi, :wave: :wave: :wave:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello