New

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New

Postby hayles » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi everyone

New to the site, i havent been specifically diagnosed yet. I have joint hypermobility syndrome, ankylosing spondylitis (a curved spine) and now my doctor thinks i have fibromyalgia as well but wont diagnose me until ive seen a rheumatologist. I have my first appointment in 3 weeks and it cant come quick enough :D

Im in bit of a pickle and hope someone can help. Im at university at the moment doing pyschiatric nursing, and ive started to really struggle and cant do my placement due to pain and fatigue. I will work one day and be in so much pain i cant do anything for a few days but lay in bed

If i have to drop out of uni and cant work what are my options?

Im 22, live at home with my parents, and do my best to stay positive, although i do have the occasional weep from pain/frustration :)

Hayley
hayles
UKFM Newbie

Re: New

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

:wave: :wave: Hayley :welcome: to the forum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for your rheumy appt :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Have you spoken to the Disability Advisor type person at your uni about your problems and struggles :?: :?: I would have thought they would be able to advise and help with things to hopefully keep you studying.

It's difficult keeping the positive attitude going when you have illness and pain battling against it :facepalm: :facepalm: It's understandable that you feel weepy at times :grouphug: :grouphug:

While you're waiting for appt day, maybe having a look thru some of the posts on here might be an idea :? :? With the advise and suggestions on here, you might find some tips that can help you manage things a bit better until you get a definite dx.

If there's anything you want to know, just ask and we'll try to help you with it. And let us know what happens with your appt if you can :hugs: :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 pm

hi hayley :wave:
welcome to the mad house :lol:

have you tried to pace things out a little so it dose not zap all your energy
in one go ? this is a hard condition to live with.
i do hope you find a way of getting through all your studies and wish you all
the best with that :blowkiss:

good to have you with us :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Hayley :welcome: to the forum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby hayles » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah ive seen the disability service at uni, they have been very helpful so far. I am only allowed so many hours off with my course to go into my second year, im sure its something minimal like 3 days and im currently on 2 ish weeks. I can only get so far behind before i will have to come back next year. I am meeting my tutor tomorrow, im hoping he can shed some light on the situation or help in anyway.

I do try to pace things and only do uni work on a good day, and when im having a bad day i do try my best to get out of the house for a little walk, to stretch,m but dont push myself too hard. But its difficult on placement as i cant work less that 7.5 hour days and have to do shifts, unfortunately ive not managed to work for the past week. im struggling to walk or do anything really at the moment.

Ive had a little look around the forum, but im going to have a good nosy for hints and tips to try and make things a little easier where i can. I would like to get to a more manageable state in daily life (if this is possible) i dont know if im just being too hard on myself. I sometimes feel lazy

Thank you :D
hayles
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

I think being hard on ourselves is something we've all done at some point Hayley, so you're in good company :wave: :wave: :wave: I doubt you're particularly lazy either, what with studies and placement shifts.

Can you see if your tutor/disability advisor will wait until you've been for your rheumy appt before doing anything?? If you get a definite dx it may be possible to work something out so you can stay on your course with whatever help/support you need 8) 8) There may be ways to help with the theoretical side of the course, and something may be possible to make your placement more suitable for your illness.

Are you hoping to work in a particular area of psychiatric nursing, or are you considering at a more general approach to it??

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby hayles » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 pm

Thank you :)

Im going to chat with him about that tomorrow, my doctor has told me once theyve diagnosed me they can then reffer me to a pain clinic or pain doctor, to hopefully make things more manageable. So i am hoping to cling in there until my appt. I know i will have to wait for that refferal but im not thinking of that yet :lol: I will let you know what my tutor says tomorrow.

Ive not decided yet, i have done healthcare before but this is my first time doing psychiatric care. My placement at the moment is an acute ward, i think i have decided i dont want to do this. I will never be able to retrain someone, as i would probably dislocate something in the mean time :P and im only 5 ft and having a 6ft guy shout and swear at you is a little daunting. Im sure something will stand out as i progress further into my training and go on different placements :D
hayles
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 pm

My OH works with patients who have learning difficulties as well as mental health problems. He works at a secure hospital a few miles away and some of the things he's told me about, I know that I wouldn't be able to even think about working in something like it were I fit to work :shock: :shock: :shock: Some of the incidents where he's been part of the team that go in to restrain or put them in seclusion have made me :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I hope you'll be able to work something out so you cam complete your studies. Keep us updated when you can, in between shifts and classes and if you want to know about anything, or to let out some pent up frustrations, there's usually someone around , even if it's just to offer :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Hayles and :welcome: to the forum hope things work out for you :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hayles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:03 pm

i had my appointment today, my tutor was really nice but told me what i think i knew already. Were not going to make a decision until ive seen the rheumatologist but i would need to be back to placement in two weeks to be able to carry on with my course. If i cant i could go back a year but as the curriculum has changed i would have to start again and be interviewed for my place. So all the work ive done so far would be lost. He did tell me to think about a career change, even if i did manage to get through my training i would never be able to do CPR, manual handling and physically couldnt do my job fully. He suggested going to college and doing something physically easier like councelling maybe!?

Its so frustrating, ive worked so hard to get to this point and might not be able to continue physically. Forgetting weeping i have full on cried alot today :oops: :? :shock:
hayles
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:34 pm

So sorry to hear that Hayley but once you've had time to take it all in and get over this raw bit, maybe you will decide he could be right and you can take everything you have already learned with you onto the next course. FM does this to us at the time it feels like its ripping up all our hopes and dreams but given time it can be looked on as just a change of direction, which if you choose the right path might be just as enjoyable and fulfilling as the initial one.

Hope this doesnt sound preachy :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hayles » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 pm

No thank you, thats a nice way to look at it and probably true. My family and friends dont really know what to say, so its nice to hear.

thank you
hayles
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:45 pm

I know it's not what you really wanted to hear Hayley, but at least he was honest with you about things, which is always better than floaty, empty half promises being made :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I can understand you wanting to carry on with your course, you've put so much into what you've done so far. However, you also need to think about yourself and your health, and be honest with yourself about everything. If you truly feel that you'll be well enough to be be back on your placement within the 2 weeks, that's brilliant. Unfortunately, with the very unpredictable and vague nature of a condition like FM, there is always a distinct possibility of things flaring up again, at any time :? :? :?

There's nothing wrong with having a good old, full blown :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: It's far better to release those pent up frustrations than bottling them all up (I can speak from experience about how damaging that can be :shock: :shock: ) When you feel a little more settled about things, you'll probably find yourself wondering about what you can do next?? As you start to try and find answers to these questions, be honest with yourself about your capabilities and limitations, just as your tutor was honest with you about your course. Hopefully, something will start to shine thru as a new possibility for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

With all everything whirling around your head at the moment, things can seem completely unsolvable and overwhelming. Should you find yourself in such a place and need some advice, suggestions or even just some [chocolate] [chocolate] :wine: :wine: :cake: :cake: :hugs: :hugs: to make things seem better, just post on here and we'll try to help you with it :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:13 am

:goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: Hayley [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello