New Member from Devon

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New Member from Devon

Postby NooshieW » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi to you all. I am currently awaiting a GP's appointment which will hopefully, at last, confirm that I have FMS. I have had all the symptoms of this syndrome for nearly 12 years and am now 56 years of age.

The symptoms first appeared after I had a very bad virus. I was previously fit and healthy. From that point on I have suffered with muscle and joint pain, fatigue, foggy brain, insomnia etc etc. you know the rest!

My previous GP referred me to a Rheumatologist as my bloods always came back clear. The diagnosis was "sero negative arthropathy" - and I have been on and off anti-inflammatorys for years which do no bleddy good! I was so disabled a few years ago that I had to give up work but have now returned on a part-time basis and have a very understanding employer.

Due to high BP I cannot take Arthrotec anymore (not that it did much good!) and now just take co-codamol when the pain is bad and hot showers to relax my muscles. I try to walk a mile a day and do still enjoy swimming.

The worse part I find is the foggy brain - I forget the thread of conversations and get easily distracted if there is a tv or radio on and I am trying to talk to someone. I struggle to find the right word to say and forget names all the time. I write notes to myself and have recently downloaded an APP on my phone which acts as a daily reminder of things you have to do - its been a godsend!

I have been pushing for years for a proper diagnosis of my illness but because of my age - I was 44 when I first got the symptoms and I'm 56 now - was continually stereotyped as a "menopausal neurotic"! I think this forum is great and look forward to becoming an active member. :D
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
NooshieW
UKFM Member

Re: New Member from Devon

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum Nooshie (like the name :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) :wave: :wave:

I've split your post up into small paragraphs as quite a few of us on here find reading large amounts of text difficult :shock: :? :facepalm:

Hope your appt, when it comes thru, gives you those answers as to what is responsible for your pain and symptoms :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: In the mean time, maybe some of the advice and info will be helpful to you. And if there's anything you want to know, just ask and we'll try to help you with it.

The fogginess can be an absolute nightmare :facepalm: :facepalm: :shock: :shock: :yikes: :yikes: I often find myself losing track of what is being said, forgetting what I am supposed to be doing/looking for, as well as the rest of the things you've described :facepalm: :facepalm: It can be so frustrating and upsetting when it happens, altho when it's something I don't really want to listen to/hear it can be handy, but that's only when I'm feeling a bit norty that happens :yikes: :yikes: :crazy: :crazy:

You're extremely lucky to have such an understanding employer. When you get your dx, hopefully they will be good in helping with anything you need to make your job as suitable for your condition as possible :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:43 pm

:welcome: to the forum Nooshie :wave:

:fingerscrossed: you get some answers soon. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby NooshieW » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks so much!
:cup1:
NooshieW
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Nooshie and :welcome: to the forum, look forward to getting to know you :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello