a bit of advise...

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

a bit of advise...

Postby jodied1989 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Hello, I'm new to this site.

I have recently been informed my doctor that I have fibromyalgia. I had been going to the same doctor for about 5 years (I'm 22) and he always brushed it off as nothing. Now I see a great doctor who has really helped with diagnosing my problem but not at actually helping. He suggested taking ibroprufen and getting exercise - well I work 2 jobs non stop and I play for a netball team so I do get about. I was after any advise from anyone for things that can help the pain as I am getting fed up. I feel I am missing out on a lot of things and have done during the most of my teens and early adult life. I recently had a blood test which showed I was borderline for Rheumatiod Arthritis (0-11 is postive, 11-30 borderline, 30+ normal. I was 11.3) But again nothing more has been said. I think my doctor is great and has been a big help but he has only told me what I have and hasn't really given my any guidance.

Any advice would be much appreciated... thanks
JODIE
jodied1989
UKFM Newbie

Re: a bit of advise...

Postby Vampchick78 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi there. :wave:

I too have been diagnosed but was put straight away on a low dose of amitriptyline to help with sleep and pain (doesnt help with pain so getting it upped tomorrow) He also gave me diclofenac which I take 3 times a day to help with muscle aches etc, and high dose tramadol up to 6 a day. I take cocodomol at night as I cant sleep on tramadol. Go back and say you have been looking on the internet and all FM sufferers are on madication of some sort. You cant cope on just ibuprofen!

I'd also suggest slowing down a bit as you're hectic daily life could be causing you to have flare ups. I had to give up so much unfortunately but it really does help a bit as FM just feeds on daily stress.

Hope you get more help and this site is great for advise and support as we all know what youre going through. :hugs:
JUST CAUSE I LOOK NORMAL DOESN'T MEAN IM NOT HAVING A BAD DAY.
Vampchick78
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

:wave: :wave: Jodie :welcome: to the forum.

I've moved your post here with it being your first one as you should get more hits :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This linky is about meds that can be used in the management of FM http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Treatment.aspx as well as info about the condition. If you want to know abut what could possibly be suitable and helpful to you, your GP is the person to see. As vampchick said, if you explain about looking on line (maybe even joining here) and have seen various meds discussed, it may be the key to getting you started on something that could make a difference for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FM doesn't have any associated inflammation, so an anti-inflam like ibuprofen doesn't help in that way, altho it could help with the pain side of things, so maybe something else could prove more beneficial for you.

There's a lot of advice and info on here, so having a look thru things may help with answering any questions whirling around your head. FM affects us all so very differently and we all find/try different things to help with it, so if we started posted what we've tried you'd be snowed under all the replies :facepalm: :facepalm: Maybe asking about things particular to you would be an idea, hopefully then you'd have some different things to consider/try :D :D :D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:47 pm

:welcome: to the forum Jodie :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi Jodie and :welcome: to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jodied1989 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Sorry, I wasn't too sure at where I posted this :crazy:
Thanks for your replies, I think I will go back to my doctor and just ask if there is anything for the pain and for a decent night sleep!!
I'll also read through different posts for different ideas :)
Thanks again xx
JODIE
jodied1989
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello