Advice please

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice please

Postby Rachellouise » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 am

Hi,
My name is Rach and recently I've been making quite a number of visits to the doctors, I have felt so poorly I don't know if I am coming or going. The symptoms I have been suffering from I have suffered with for a lot of years but all the doctors that I have talked to it about do not seem to want know. I have now move and I am going to be making an appointment today to discuss this. my symptoms are as follows
Headaches everyday but the strength of them ranges ( always results in me taking painkillers )
Hair loss this is usually strands every time I run my hand in it to move it from my face or when I am washing and drying it etc
My whole body aches that most if the time it can be quite painful to walk or even get up in a morning
I was told i have a jaw problem and have had it since I was about 18/ 19 years old where I got told I was not allowed chewy food
Constant constipation
Sickness which is so bad now that I cannot eat breakfast in a morning and struggle to eat dinner
I have lost my appritie with food but still eat usually in the evening cause I know I have to eat
My memory can be quite rubbish at times that I feel like I am cracking up
I have problems with my menstrual cycle and have done since I was young, I have recently had an ustra sound done cause I keeper bleeding when I shouldn't have and then after the cramps wouldn't go away the result of this is believed to be that everything is fine.
I need to constantly urinate when I've just been to the loo.

Advice is needed as after doing a bit if research this is only thing that comes up and explains everything I am going through but I am worried that the doctor will turn me away. Does this sound like I could have Fibromyalgia.
I am so tired that at weekends because I work through the ( I struggle to get upstill) that at weekends I would get up unrefreshed still and then an hour later I would want to be back in bed.

There is a lot my stuff that I also suffer with that whenever I mention it to my friends they say I am a hyprocondiract
Rachellouise
UKFM Member

Re: Advice please

Postby loubie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 am

hi rach :wave:
we can't tell you that you have FM
although you have a lot of the symptoms.

write all your system down and take it with you to your new GP
they do have to rule everything else out first with lots of bloods
and stuff.

:fingerscrossed: your new GP is more understanding, if not then find another
a lot of us have had many GPs just look at us as if we are aliens :roll:

good luck with it and let us no how you get on :hugs:

oh an welcome to the forum :welcome: sorry forgot that bit :oops: :lol: :lol:
its nice to have you with us :wave: :wave: :wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 pm

:welcome: to the forum Rachel

I have moved your post here as its your first, you will get more response here.

Like loubie said its hard for us to say, fibro can mimic so many other illnesses, sorry i know thats not the answer you wanted. :hugs:

It can take a while to get a dx of fibro because lots of other things have to be ruled out first, fibro does not show up in any blood test so it always tends to be last on the docs list to dx.

If your symptoms have been on going for longer than 6 months you could ask to be referred to a Rheumy as they are the ones who normally dx fibro although saying that more GP`s these days are getting better and are more clued up on fibro and are dx fibro as well.

:fingerscrossed: you get some answers soon. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Rachel and :welcome: to the forum, I cant really add to what the others have already said, a good GP makes all the difference and can speed up a diagnosis for whatever you are suffering with so :goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you dont have to wait too long to find out what is up :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Rachellouise » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi all
Thanks for all your replies, I've already had some blood works done and they came back all ok. I've had an ultra sound done and the results of that have come back ok, I have a doctors appointment for next Monday to discuss further. It is very upsetting that I have suffered like this for so long years even and the only person that understands me is my mum, if I try to talk to my friends I always get negative comments. Sometimes I feels so alone and that how I feel is all in my head when people are being negative towards me, deep down I know how I feel.
Rachellouise
UKFM Member

Postby jean » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 am

Good morning to everybody. I find it most frustrating that you are diagnosed with a condition just because they cannot diagnose anything else. Whats more, my GP who is new, (changed surgeries to get better treatment) diagnosed this after 2 blood tests. One was for vitamin D defficiency as I also have PMR and it can be another offshoot. Why don't GP's refer you to a consultant anymore? Have just been told to take one or two antidepressants each night. Will this be for life? Does it get worse? Any other treatments? Why should we have to join forums to find out what our illnesses are? I do not consider myself 'old' as yet, but I feel it at present. Ready for bed at 9.30pm every night. Any glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel? I am not usually a moaning minnie, but still in shock. Regards Jean
jean
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 am

:welcome: to the forum Rachel :wave: :wave:

You've been given some fab advice already, so I'll not add my repetitions to it. On here, we can all assure you that what you feel is very real and not in your head. As for being met with negativity from those we hold hold the closest and dearest, that is something a lot of us have experienced. I use to spend hours trying to analyse why they would be thinking like that, but these days just ignore the comments. The true ones will accept you for you, warts, illness and all.

You're not alone now you've found us. There is a lot of advice and info on here that may be of help to you, both now while you're waiting to see what is wrong, and after as we try our best to help and support each other.

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: for Mondays appt, hopefully you'll get some answers :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:27 am

jean wrote:Good morning to everybody. I find it most frustrating that you are diagnosed with a condition just because they cannot diagnose anything else. Whats more, my GP who is new, (changed surgeries to get better treatment) diagnosed this after 2 blood tests. One was for vitamin D defficiency as I also have PMR and it can be another offshoot. Why don't GP's refer you to a consultant anymore? Have just been told to take one or two antidepressants each night. Will this be for life? Does it get worse? Any other treatments? Why should we have to join forums to find out what our illnesses are? I do not consider myself 'old' as yet, but I feel it at present. Ready for bed at 9.30pm every night. Any glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel? I am not usually a moaning minnie, but still in shock. Regards Jean

Altho you find it frustrating jean, others could well find it more comforting to have a name for their collection of symptoms. There are still referrals being made to consultants, but there seem to be more and more GPs feeling able to dx and start treating a patients condition. Doing this can be faster for the patient as well as they don't have to wait for another appt to come thru.

Which anti-ds have you been to take at night?? They are used to help with sleep and pain aspects in FM. As for it being for life, that's not an easy thing to answer as some of us do find things worsen, whereas some find that things stay the some, whilst a very lucky few find that their symptoms ease back so much that they can lead a more-or-less normal life.

As for joining a forum to find out about the illness, altho the information provided by a GP/consultant tends to be very clinical and doesn't cover every single thing that can be experienced. Joining a forum not only helps with finding out about the smaller, more personal symptoms, it can also bring a sense of relief knowing that you're not alone with the problem, as well as being a place of support and info when it is needed, esp if someone is unable to get out and try to find something like a support group.

There may be a light at the end of the tunnel for you. If you can reach the point of acceptence, find ways to live with it rather than fighting against it, as well as finding treatment that is effective for you, you can still carry on with some sort of life that has a quality about it, altho it may not be what you initially wanted.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Rachellouise » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Just had some more test results come back and they are all ok,
I have noticed that when I am driving at night, hate it when darkness comes early people are blinding me that it makes my eyes strain.
I was advised by a relative to read some books as they are under the impression that some foods I eat may a cause also be causing the way I feel but I have no idea where to go.

Thanks again guys.
Rachellouise
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Rachellouise wrote:Just had some more test results come back and they are all ok,
I have noticed that when I am driving at night, hate it when darkness comes early people are blinding me that it makes my eyes strain.
I was advised by a relative to read some books as they are under the impression that some foods I eat may a cause also be causing the way I feel but I have no idea where to go.

Thanks again guys.

HI Rachel

Fibro`s can be sensitive towards light. I have to wear my sunglasses in bright weather and even wear them while in a car of a evening, the oncoming car headlights cause my eyes to strain and then gives me headaches.

Some people might think you like stupid but if it helps it is worth it. :D
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Rachellouise » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Well I've been to the doctors went last night, I honestly thought he would understand but he basically said that it's wear and tear on my whole body and that at 27 I should be living my life. How can my body be in wear and tear at 27?????
When I mentioned how unhappy I was about that opinion he simply ordered some more bloods and gave me anti inflamitries where do I go from here. At the moment I am having two red hot baths a day before and after work it seems to be the only thing that helps, the water is that hot I look like a lobster.
I am soo fed up right now

Rach
Rachellouise
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:51 pm

Try hot water bottles Rachel they can help too but make sure they are in covers as we crave the heat so much we can burn/damage our skin. If I were you I would look for another doc, the one you are seeing sounds like they arent sympathetic and you do need a decent doc with this condition :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Wheaty bags that can be warmed up in the microwave can also help. I have a long one that can either drape around my neck or go the whole length of my spine to help with things. Some have found that a TENs machine can help as well.

It definitely sounds like you need another GP, have you asked at your current surgery if there is one who has experience of dealing with things like FM?? If there isn't, then it could well be worth considering changing surgeries :facepalm: :facepalm:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 pm

:hugs: Rachel, i agree with Denys & fluppy sounds like you need to change your GP. it really does make a big difference having a understanding doc with fibro. :goodluck1:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Rachellouise » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 pm

How do i find an understanding doctor i seemed to be having a bad day today, at the moment I seem to be sat in front of the fire it's now lovely and warm. :needhug: its far too cold my body is not liking it, I printed off some of the free e book on living with fibromyalgia so I shall be reading that at some point.
I am so fed up today and I hear people at work complain about toothache and I wanna scream about the discomfort and pain I am in but dont wanna be a burden on anyone not even my family or partner.
Rachellouise
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Where to Say Hello