Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello

Postby janjem » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, as I've never joined "a forum" before!! Anyway, here goes......I'm Jan, I have three grown up children, and three grandchildren. I was told I had Fibromyalgia a few years ago, but would NOT accept this. Recently, however, I have come to the conclusion that maybe I really do have it. I read something on here where someone said they felt they were "giving in," by accepting, and I was soooooo glad to read that, as that is exactly how I feel!!

The reason I joined this forum is because today I visited my GP, (who is really great!!) and she suggested I should look for support from other sufferers, possibly on the internet.....so here I am. I've had a couple of very traumatic years in which I first lost my dad, then my mum and a month after her, I lost my lovely husband. I also lost my job during this time and had my left knee replaced, I am now waiting to have my right one replaced. I have tried soooooo hard to cope with these things and to keep myself going and cheerful, but I'm failing miserably just now.

I recently started to do a few hours voluntary work, in a charity shop, most of the other volunteers are elderly, in their 70/80s. I feel really embarrassed and ashamed because these people are much more energetic and able than I am, and I'm only in my 50s!!!! I am SICK :puke: of being in pain, of it taking me days to do what would have taken me only hours to do at one time, of being completely useless for a day or two after doing anything even remotely energetic, of having the most unbelievably poor memory, of feeling miserable, not sleeping etc etc. It's a vicious circle!! I sound like a right moaner, don't I!!!! (Which I'm truly not, usually!!) :crazy: :tongueout: Anyway, that's me.......so HELLO :wave: and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and hopefully getting and giving support!! :fingerscrossed:
janjem
UKFM Newbie

Re: Hello

Postby denys » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Jan, and :welcome: to the forum, so sorry to hear about all your losses and I'm glad you decided to join us. We hopefully can offer you some support and help in coming to terms with the condition :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm

:welcome: to the forum jan :wave: :wave:

I hope you'll be glad to know your first post is absolutely fine :clap: :clap:

What you've said about not wanting to accept you have FM is something a lot of us have gone thru. There seem to be several stages we all need to go thru until we reach the point where we can eventually accept that FM is a long term part of our lives :nono: :nono: :nono: Hopefully now you're acknowledging that you do have it, you'll start working thru things to accept it and find the things that help you with it.

You've come to the right place for advice and info about FM and we try our best to help and support each other with what it throws at us. We also do a good line in :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: as well :clap: :clap: I'm sorry you've had such an awful time over the past couple of years, please don't think of yourself as failing miserably or that you're giving in :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: These sad things have happened, but not because of something you have chosen or done :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby janjem » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Denys and FluppyPuffy, Thank you for your warm welcome and encouraging words!!
I really do hope that acknowledging is, as you say, the first step to accepting and coping!! :D
I'm a little unsure just what to do on this site really. :dunno: I'm not too computer literate!! :facepalm: So if you could possibly give me a few pointers :idea: :?: I'd be really grateful.....thanks. Kind regards Jan X X :flowers: :flowers:
janjem
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Jan :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:55 pm

From looking around you'll have seen that the forum is split into different parts that try to cover all aspects of FM, as well as having a general topics section where non-FM topics can be posted.

You've got the posting bit sorted with making your intro topic, as well as making replies. If you can tell us which things you're unsure of jan, then we can hopefully come up with some advice that might make some sense :crazy: :crazy: :facepalm: :facepalm: If we start just giving you suggestions for random things, then there's a good chance you'd be swamped with things that don't come close to what you were unsure about :crazy: :crazy: :dunno: :dunno: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

hi jan welcome and another one from derbyshire, i live in ambergate.

i am 40 and have 3 kids and i have been going to the hydrotherapy at the royal in derby and its reaslly great, takes all weak to recover.

its just a balance between feeling out old self and wanting to keep doing stuff and being frustrated that we cant or takes so long to recover after.

when i first went to the hydro i stupidly thought i'm only 40 everyone was old age would be a doddle - boy was i wrong. :crazy: :crazy:

hope you are getting the support you need i was with rheumatologist in chesterfield but now need to transfer to derby but haven;t got round to it yet.

:welcome: :blowkiss:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello