[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello, Happy to be a Brit :)

Hello, Happy to be a Brit :)

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello, Happy to be a Brit :)

Postby Sosolow » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 am

Hello let me introduce myself and tell you a little about myself. I am 46 years old and I have just returned in April after living in the California,USA for 4 years. I am married to an American. I became ill in Jan 2009 intially with Cervical Arthritis.

In Oct 2009 hubby was made redundant :( At this point we lost our medical insurance which was costing us $350 per month,docs app were then $30 per visit,most generic medicines $20 each for a months supply. I had many procedures, doctors billing the insurance co up to $10.000 per month . I received trigger point injections once a month costing $5000 each time,although we still had to pay what's called a co pay (excess) of anything up to $250. At the time I was probably taking 3-4 presciptions. When we lost our insurance life became a living hell.

We were given COBRA which is an insurance offered to those made unemployed by the Government at the cost of $450 per month! Although it took 3 months before the paperwork was done. Meantime I had to pay cash for my medicines, for example Gabapentin was costng me $300 per month.The problem is when you do get COBRA it only lasts for 15 months.

I was then dx with fibro in summer 2010. I then started taking 9 prescriptions,I have tried everything, I used to shudder everytime they wanted me to try something new because of the cost. Some had terrible side effects yet I still had to pay even if I only took one of the pills out of the 30,you are not given a refund for retrning them. Anyway in February 2011 I made my last payment for $450 my COBRA had expired.

As I have pre existing conditions I cannot get health insurance at a decent price of around $350,it was to cost me $1500 per month!!! My hubby still had not been able to find work,he had a court order child support for $1750 per month. Their system there is very different from ours. Unemployment is a max of $1900 per month so as you can see we had no money.It took 18 months to adjust his child support and was still set at $800 even though he only had $1900 per month. We ended up being evicted. His parents had to help us. I had to sell my car.There is no housing benefit there, no disabilty for me,no help whatsoever from the Government for those who need it. After 99 weeks your unemployment ends then that is it, no money. People end up living in their cars/tents even with children. If you are under 65 and have no children you are not entitled to any Medicare.

We were screwed. Everyday I didnt know whether we would eat let alone pay for my medical bills and medicines. I have 4 kids that lived here in the UK still. I made the decision to come home, the best thing I ever did.

I am sorry to have bored you all with these details but the point I am trying to put across is that I am so gratedful to have the NHS. I will never complain ever again. After having experienced life without the NHS I feel so so lucky to be British. I have been treated exactly the same here as I was there,better here infact. I attended the Pain clinic there and the health care was no better than it is here, and it cost me everything I owned and more. Having this terrible illness is bad enough as you all know but to have to pay $1000's on top of it makes it utterly unbearable. Each and everyday I am so happy to be home,I just received my DLA award notice after applying just 4 weeks ago. I was unable to claim until October as I had been away from the Uk for so long. I am hoping now that the reduction in stress and security I have here will help a little with the misery of fibro.

I am looking forward to talking with many of you and I am very happy I found this forum.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading
Sosolow
UKFM Member

Re: Hello, Happy to be a Brit :)

Postby ITbird » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 am

Firstly, welcome back!

Having to pay out thousands must have caused so much stress, inevitably making your fibro worse.

I think we take the NhS for granted sometimes expect to be treated immediately and get the right diagnosis quickly. It's easy to forget that we are very lucky to have this service. Many, including you, need to shell out their life savings to get basic healthcare and some don't even have that.

Welcome to the fibro forum and thanks for making me think about the times I've complained about our NHS

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Fletch x
ITbird
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:12 am

We are truely blessed to have our free NHS service.
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 pm

I've split your post up into small and clear paragraphs as a lot of us struggle with reading large blocks of text. Sorry to heat what you went thru in the States, it seems to be only when you don't have it that you remember just how fortunate we are in having the NHS.

There is a lot of advice and info on here and we do out best to help and support each other thru the joys and delights FM brings with it :facepalm: :facepalm:

Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby animalhouse » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:03 pm

hi, nice to meet and what an eventfull feew years you have had.

i think alot of us reallly apreciate the nhs, its the dwp and such that are so out of their trees they don;t realise what we go through so if we weren';t genuine about our conditions we wouldn;t go through all this.

we went through similar to you when i lost my job, car, career, house etc after a car crash that brought on this conditiion so i know where you are coming from - everyday is a battl eand i am glad you can now relax and take care of yourself.

best wishes. :wave:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby cosyrosy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:03 pm

I agree with you, When I go to the hospital with my mum, there are a lot of people moaning about the time they have to wait, they are waiting for an injection that when not funded was £2000 a shot. they usually have at least 4 some go on for quite a few more.
So I have several times had to bite my lip, to stop me saying well go for the alternative, either pay to go private or go blind, as these injections are keeping the sight they have. :(
I have read about people with illnesses in the USA struggling with disabilities and still working two jobs. Also having to go for the cheapest meds or less meds.
I just hope we dont go down the same route, I think the healthy and prosperous PM does not understand. He needs to go for the tax fiddlers not take everyones chance of benefit or healthcare away.
We are so lucky to get healthcare, even if some people have bad experiences.
So welcome back :welcome:
cosyrosy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sosolow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum,I spend many hours reading through all the posts. I have awful insomnia and very seldom go to sleep before 6am :( so plenty to keep me going through the long lonely nights
Sosolow
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello