[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello, at last!

Hello, at last!

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello, at last!

Postby karma » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi there

i've been trying to sign up to this forum for around 2 weeks, unfortunately brain fog got in the way and I forgot my username! A big thank you to Malcom for sorting this out!

anyway, my story so far

I first got ill around 8 years ago, for over a year I was written off as being depressed despite my symptoms being physical. I gave up work and my OU studies.

around a year or so later I was diagnosed hypothyroid. thyroxine din't really seem to be making me much better so I was refered to a NHS endo. He did loads of tests and put me on T3 as well as thyroxine, this did help a bit. He discharged me back to my GP saying that he had done all he could and he firmly believed that I had an underlying case of CFS/ME. My GP dismissed this as she doesn't believe in it!

I managed to get some of my life back I now work very part time (10 - 12 hrs per week) and I picked up my OU studies again but only do a max of 30 points at a time instead of 60.

Over the past year I've been going downhill again. Pain, fatigue, stiffness, foggy,intoleratnt of heat/cold, sleep problems, IBS. My GP thought that I either had RA or had started the menopause. all the test she did came back fine so she dismissed me as being a bit achey!

I went to see another GP in the practice. He thinks I have fibromyalgia. I'm already on 50mg amitriptilyne for facial neuralgia (this does work for that but does nothing to help my sleep anymore or other problems, I think i've got immune to it)and c0-dydramol prn for my other aches and pains (I also have OA in my right wrist). so because of the meds I already take he wasn't sure what else to give me but thought a low dose of citalopram (10mg) may help.

Is anyone else on 2 different kinds of anti-ds? i've been taking it now for a month and it really is helping with sleep (perhaps too much) but my foggy brain is geting worse and it's not really helping with my pain and stiffness and it seems unusual to be on 2 different kinds of Ads. I think i'm going to flunk my OU course as i'm so far behind and I think I will have to cancel the one I'm supposed to be starting in Feb. I'm starting to feel like a failure again!

also, the codydramol works a bit for the pain but it makes my ibs play up!

I hope I've not bored you all too much, it's been good geting this off my chest as the only people that really know what is going on with me are my husband and a really close friend who also suffers with ME. I'm not sure how others would take it especially with my ex GP's attitude towards it. How do you all cope with other's percptions of your illness?

this forum seems to be so full of info, it may take me a while to digest it all but so far it seems really useful

hope to get to know you all better soon x

Re: Hello, at last!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 pm

:welcome: to the forum karma :wave: :wave:

As you've seen, there is a lot of advice, info, support and a little bit of :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: to help get you thru the delights of FM and the other things that accompany it :facepalm: :facepalm: So anything you want to know, just ask and we'll see what we can do to find you an answer for it 8) 8)

It's not unusual to be on 2 types of anti-ds where FM is concerned. They can help with the sleep and pain aspects of the condition, as well as treating the depression side of things that a lot of us seem to dabble with at some time. It's good hear the citalopram is helping you :clap: :clap: My particular combo is citalopram and nortriptyline 8) 8) 8)

When it comes to telling others about FM and trying to explain what it is, there's no real way to see how people may react to it. Some are supportive, some are dismissive of it, and others just plainly refuse to acknowledge that it is a genuine condition :facepalm: :facepalm: In my experience, the ones who I thought would be understanding turned out not to be, and the ones I thought wouldn't be actually turned out to be more supportive than I ever imagined. When telling someone you have FM, it often brings out their true colours, which to me can say a lot more about them than you ever imagined :yikes: :yikes:

For trying to explain how FM affects us, there are a couple of topics on here that are particularly helpful. One is the spoon theory The other is called "One For The Non Believers" We also often go thru various stages of emotions and feelings as we try to accept that FM is now a part of our lives which might give you an idea of what you could be feeling at times.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ribbons » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

hello and welcome x
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:24 pm

:welcome: to the forum Karma :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ouchy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi kama :wave:
Ouchy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Hello and :welcome: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby karma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:28 pm

thank you all for the warm welcome!

and a big thank you fluffy puppy for the links and advice, it's good to know that I'm not the only person on 2 different Ads x

Return to Where to Say Hello