Newly "Diagnosed"

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly "Diagnosed"

Postby OggyOggyFoggy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi
For years I've known there was something not quite right with me. For years I've ached, been exhausted, struggled and laid awake night after night after night.

Its been so long since I felt healthy I cannot pinpoint the exact moment I began to feel ill. I suspect it was around 1997, I was sitting in my car at traffic lights and a young gentleman had failed to see that I had stopped for a red light. I saw him approach in my mirror and could see he wasnt slowing dowm, so I braced myself for impact.....wallop! My life was to change in that instant.

I was studying at University at the time...and went on to get my degree, I "recovered" from the whiplash injury, however, what was to follow I did not connect to the accident and assumed it was just me.

I suffered with dreadful dull burning pains in my arms and neck - and was told it was RSI or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I suffered from disabling bouts of fatigue - and was told it was depression.

My neediness increased as my ability to take care of myself diminished, destroying my relationship - as neither he nor I understood that I was ill - least not in the physical sense.

And in the years that followed my symptoms have steadily increased, interspersed periodically with periods of relative wellness (how I cherish these times!).

My career following university simply never got off the ground, since my attendance at work faltered to such a degree that I felt like I was such a failure and liability. And every job I took, I was unable to maintain the very high standards I set myself.

And so my life has continued......labelled with the taboo of mental illness, full of promise yet unable to fulfill.

Motherhood, a joy but exhausting. And feeling every day like a failure because I cannot be like "other women". How do they do it? I wonder, not realising I am ill. So I put it down to the fact I'm useless. I blame the fact I am overweight. I berate myself for having no self control or stamina.

I feel detached because I cant bear to be touched. Even holding my daughter hurts.

I assume its "all in my mind" - because that is what I'm told.

And for the past 7 years i have struggled to keep up with world, finally thinking that the only way I can work is to work for myself, as this could allow me to run my business at my own pace. The business has been tremendously successful, but with that came the immence stress of having to do everything on my own. And the symptoms of pain, fatigue became unbearable.

I visited my doctor a few weeks ago, once more expecting to be told I was depressed. However, I was met with the response, "I suspect you have something called Fibromyalgia"

Following a number of blood tests, to exclude any other conditions, I finally was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia last week.

I feel a blend of relief, despair, anger and sadness. However, remain hopeful that one day I will find a treatment that will restore that energy and vitality I once felt. I am currently taking 20mg of Amitryltiline (which is to steadily be increased up to 75mg), together with ibuprofen 3 times per day. In addition to this I am self-medicating 5g D-Ribose, 3 times per day, in an attempt to boost my energy levels. However, I suspect the amitryptiline is zapping what energy I do have and currently feel flu-like.

I would very much like to hear from similar people, whose lives seem tragically unfulfilled due to Fibromyalgia and any positive outcomes you have had from the treatments your have chosen.

Hugs x
OggyOggyFoggy
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly "Diagnosed"

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:15 pm

:wave: :wave: and :welcome: to the forum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There is a lot of advice and info on here so hopefully you'll find some useful suggestions amongst all the :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: We also try to help and support each other with what comes along with FM as well :wave: :wave:

Being dx'd with FM does turn everything you take as "normal" completely upside down, so what you're feeling at the moment is something most of us have experienced.

Have you checked that the d-ribose is OK to take along side the amis?? Just asking as when someone says they're considering trying something complimentary/herbally/supplemently, we usually suggest that they check with a pharmacist or dr in case there is a chance of interaction between the various things.

Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loubie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 am

hi :wave:
welcome to the forum :wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Where to Say Hello