[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Waving Hello

Waving Hello

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Waving Hello

Postby emmamed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Waving hello to everyone.

Have come across this site, after going some googling about raised ESR levels.

For a few years (4yrs) now my ESR levels have been raised (40-50's), but this year they have been higher than normal (60-90's). 10 weeks ago they were 69, then last month 68, but yesterday was 89, this is the highest its ever been.

I have been to the doctors today as it flagged up again, to see a doctor, even through they dont know what casues the raised ESR levels. I have been seen by Ruematology (sp) been tested for arthritis and nothing has shown up. I saw a different doctor today, one i havent ever seen for this problem and hes like me, would like to know why and didnt tell me like others have, its just one of those things i got to live with.

10 weeks ago i was also diagnosed with underactive thyroid, having had my medication raised by 25mcg today to 100mcg. This doctor now wants to get my thyroid sorted before doing anymore digging for my ESR.

What i would like to know is how many other people are like me and have an unexplained raised ESR?
emmamed
UKFM Newbie

Re: Waving Hello

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:30 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: back at you emmamed :welcome: :welcome:

Altho there have been a few mentions of raised ESR markers by people on here, it's not something that is prominent where FM is concerned. ESR levels are usually an indicator if something inflammatory, altho some of us have higher ones, it doesn't really indicate that FM is the reason for it.

Has the possibility of FM been mentioned at any time during appts you have been to?? As well as arthritis, there are other conditions that can cause an increase in ESR levels. Have you been tested for anything else??

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 am

Hi from me too, Flup is right it's not usually something connected to FM hope you get some answers soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby emmamed » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 am

emmamed
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm

I can understand your GP wanting to concentrate on the thyroid problem, maybe they feel that getting that under control might help with ESR :dunno: :dunno:

From what I can recall about the other posts, their levels were always high, but with no apparently detectable answers. What if these readings are "normal" for you and have only been picked up from your thyroid issue. Not sure how feasible an answer it is tho :facepalm: :facepalm:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby emmamed » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm

emmamed
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 pm

CRP relates to inflammation presence I think :? :? Something to do with determining severity and monitoring response to treatment that is being carried out :? :? CRP test is usually done when an inflammatory disorder is suspected, such as forms of arthritis and autoimmune disorders, as well as inflammatory bowel disease.

All we can really do is speculate at what is happening, the only way to get a definite answer/dx is to see a suitable medical professional. Have you been seen by anyone else apart from the rheumi??

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby karma » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi emma

i think we may have met before on another forum?

I can't help with the raised ESR levels i'm afraid, but I just wanted to say that I know it's frustrating but your doc is right, it can take a year to get thyroid levels stable on meds. it's actualy good that he realises this as hopefully he will work with you to get to a good level. some docs expect you to be running a marathon on 25mcg for 6 weeks.

Once he gets you TSH to an acceptable level, ask him to test ESR levels again then if you are still having symptoms. From your post it sounds like you have had thyroid symptoms for a while? you say you've been tested for it several times and it's came back 'normal'? The ranges are quite wide so that 'normal' may not ahve been 'normal' for you.

That said, i've not heard of thyroid levels directly affecting inflamation levels in the body but it wouldn't surprise me if it did as thyroid hormones are needed in every cell in the body for normal function!

Hope you get some answers and start to feel better soon x

Postby emmamed » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:25 am

emmamed
UKFM Newbie

Postby emmamed » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:30 am

emmamed
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello