Where do I start?

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Where do I start?

Postby zweistein » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:01 am

Hello everybody! 49 year old guy here perhaps clutching at straws but certainly looking for a little advice. A Fibromyalgia sufferer pointed me in this direction and I was hoping to get an insight into what it's all about, (I'm aware that nobody can diagnose, however, perhaps some practical advice?)

Despite years of visits to my GP followed by X-rays, physiotherapy consultations etc, it appears that the best anybody can come up with are theories rather than answers.

My most recent visit to the surgery just last week, resulted in yet another referral to physiotherapy clinic because my Doctor "thinks" that I have what she called chronic skeletal muscular pain in my neck, well I'm aware of that! but I need to know why and how it can be treated.

Perhaps if I can describe some symptoms somebody somewhere may be able to at least give me a glimmer of hope.
My pain is constant, in the back of my neck and my right shoulder,with each movement of the head I feel and "hear" a crunching and grinding in my neck which does not feel like bone crunching, the muscle on top of my right shoulder is always as solid as rock and when I get what I describe as an inflamed feeling, the muscle feels lumpy and hot.

The pain is always there and every couple of weeks or so it feels as what I can only describe as inflammation which radiates up the back of my neck and feels uncomfortable in my head, sometimes triggering panic attacks and nausea in my stomach, sometimes there is a clicking between my shoulder blades, sometimes my whole spine hurts.

I'm sorry to sound like a hypochondriac but I feel the need to get it out of my system to somebody who may take notice! the only time I get relief is when I sleep, but recently I wake very early because of the pain.

I suffered from a terrible bout of sciatica some years ago and the pain I experienced in my hip and down my leg reoccurs now and again, I'm trying to paint a picture of it any of this ties in with Fibro, so far it has been suggested that I may have a "touch" of arthritis in my neck, last year a physiotherapist told me that she felt that my C1 or C2 (I can't remember) was out of alignment and she felt the need to manipulate it, which gave me an hour of comfort.

Because I am 6 feet 7 inches,(and not overweight) it has also been suggested that years of wrong posture has played a role in my aches and pains, and though now I spend my days behind a desk, many years ago to pay my way through College I did some serious hard graft, I used to unload lorries and carried 64 tons worth of carpet underlay on my right shoulder per week.

Sometimes my legs feel heavy, when I wake up in the morning I feel as though I've spent several rounds in the ring, but worst of all is the constant neck pain, I can't remember the last time my neck and shoulder muscles were relaxed.

I seem to lack concentration because I'm so fixated with the pain, I get snappy and moody and sometimes feel as though whatever it is that I suffer from is affecting my mind (which is scary!) sometimes out of the blue I will have a really good day, but it really is only a day!

In fact it all seems rather scary, the dry mouth, dizziness,butterflies, impaired vision, none of these all of the time or all at once though, it just seems odd to put this down to poor posture or arthritis.

That's my introduction over with! I just wondered if it rings any bells with anybody? Thank you for your time!

:roll:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into clearer paragraphs for easier reading
zweistein
UKFM Newbie

Re: Where do I start?

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:51 pm

hi zweistein,
first a big :wave: and a :welcome:
thank you for sharing, it's always good to get that stuff out of the system

fibro is so "all or nothing"
lots of different symptoms, not everyone has them all, probably most of us have most symptoms in one way or another and in various degrees, some manage to work others need a lot of care etc

lots of us go through years and years of seeing docs, lots of test bla bla
self doubt, depression etc :crazy:
until someone might string some of the different symptoms together and sees a bigger picture :facepalm:

working physically heavy or repetetive :chicken-dance: (or whatever) might surely lead to wear and tear :hit1:
but wear and tear doesn't rule out fibro either :banghead:

as you see (and found out for yourself) already it is very complex :dunno:
don't know if that was of any help
anyway
:welcome: again to the forum, here's a lot of info, support, fun etc
all the best
lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 pm

:welcome: to the forum zweistein :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear what you're going thru at the moment :? :?

Some of the symptoms and things you've described could be attributed to FM, but they could also be describing symptoms of several conditions as they share similar symptoms to FM :facepalm:

The only way you're going to get an answer to things is to keep pushing at your GP for tests, referrals and things to find out what is the cause of your symptoms. Unfortunately to say that it is FM isn't that easy, with it sharing the symptoms with other things. Tests etc are usually done to eliminate these other possibilities as FM doesn't show in any tests. Only once everything has ruled out is a dx of FM given. And it can take a while to get there :facepalm: :facepalm:

It sounds like you need to go back and see your GP armed with some info about FM and explain why you feel it could be what you're suffering with FM. If you're GP is understanding, hopefully they will set things in motion to help you find out. If they're not particularly interested, then you may need to try a different one, and keep on trying until you find someone who will listen and is prepared to help you.

Sorry it's not quite the answer you're hoping for, I'm just trying to explain how things can be re FM. Hope you can start and get some answers soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: If there's anything else you're wondering about, just ask and we'll try to help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tonydin » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:55 pm

hello although i cant say if you have fm , i did wonder if you have been reading my medical notes :lol: :lol: :lol:
because your story is almost the same as mine SNAP i win :D

i was dx this year after tears of what you have been through , i think my doc had been reading somoething on it :roll: :roll:

as one of the rare men on here i can hear all the bells ring.

so you must keep on at your gp as i found it a relife to have a name to it ,,,, but they have to rule out every thing else first im afriad

:twodrinking1:
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:14 pm

welcome to the forum :wave:
have a good look round, do lots of reading see if any other things fall in to how you feel
but keep on at the gp, or change your gp
good luck :wave:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Where to Say Hello