New Here and Newly Diagnosed

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New Here and Newly Diagnosed

Postby hannahlondon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi I'm Hannah, I'm 38, I live in London and I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. From reading a lot of posts on here I think I've been fortunate to be diagnosed relatively quickly because I've only been ill for a few months. I also have osteoarthritis and, due to my fibro, depression.

My rheumatologist has been really good, she's very understanding and thorough. I've still got to go back for a bone scan just to make absolutely sure that she hasn't missed anything inflammatory. She's referred me for physiotherapy (for joint protection, exercise and pain control), to a pain management clinic and to a specific fibromyalgia clinic. I'm going back to my GP with regard to immediate pain control because I also need anti-depressants, he was waitinig until I got the rheumy appointment out of the way to start the anti-depressants. Otherwise the rheumy would have started me on a low dose of amitryptiline but she said at anti-depressant doses it's probably not the best choice. I'm seeing my GP tomorrow morning and the rheumy said she'd be available on the phone and happy to talk to him, she's given me a print out of all my results too.

My other big worry is work, because I'm off sick. I've only actually been on the sick for 2 1/2 weeks because I've been pushing myself through illness for months and eventually I ran out of resources. My job involves shift work and I'm not at all sure I'm going to be able to do that any more - although the rheumy was very encouraging about the possibility of improvement with the right help. I have to go to occupational health next week so I guess we'll see where that goes.
hannahlondon
UKFM Newbie

Re: New Here and Newly Diagnosed

Postby ribbons » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm

hello and welcome x if you do a search on here for disability employment advisor, there is a post from someone who used to be one. They look at retention, so giving you help to stay in your job, i am having problems with work and am getting help from them. They are based in job centres.
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby siobhanmoss » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi Hannah, and all
I'm Siobhan i'm 35 with 2 children and a supportive husband and family ( thank goodness)
I'm new to all this too, have been in pain on and off for about a year, but with an injury at work to trigger this all, i have now been diagnosed for about 6 weeks, i have been off work now for 9 weeks, i'm seeing occuapational health, but the are not keen on me going back this side of christmas, I work as a nursery nurse within a special needs nursery school, so a very physical and stressful job, i'm also studying at uni to become a teacher.
I have huge concerns about returning to work, but very worried about whats happens if i can't.
I have good days, where my body aches and i'm tired, and bad days where i struggle to get out of bed and hurt all over, my worse areas are head, neck, shoulders, lower back and at times my legs ache like i've run a marathon, ( god that would be a miracle !!)
I have started taking lots of vitamins and minerals, i feel like i need to try everything at the moment.
Lovely to have this site to read and talk.
xxx :D xxx
siobhanmoss
UKFM Member

Postby hannahlondon » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi to you both - ribbons thanks that's really helpful I will look into it. I'm trying just to take one day at a time at the moment, if I try to think too far ahead I just get myself in a huge mental tangle. Siobhan I can relate, I also have a child and I'm on my own - although my ex is still around and shares care of our daughter. I'm also fortunate to have some fabulously supportive friends. Work is a tricky one - my job is really stressful and also I work shifts, but if I can't work I can't pay the mortgage etc (eventually that is, at the moment I'm getting sick pay so I'm not in immediate financial crisis). There doesn't seem to be an easy answer unfortunately, given magic wands are in short supply.
hannahlondon
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am

Hi to both of you and :welcome: to the forum and hope we can offer you support when you need it :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby hannahlondon » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Denys. I've seen my GP this morning and he's prescribed me tramadol which I hope will help with the pain and also citalopram for depression. He said he thinks I'm severely depressed and is sending to to see a psychiatrist as well. He's also signed me off work for another 6 weeks which takes me into the new year, hopefully things will be looking a little brighter by then.
hannahlondon
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello