[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Newbie

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby 6611160 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie here and recently diagnosed.

Had various joint pain issues since I was 14, starting in my jaw. It was put down to stress of exams & other stuff until I was 18 when they finally sent me to a consultant who took some x-rays & said 'oops!' If they'd taken action earlier, my jaw wouldn't be in the state it was by then with the simple use of a bite guard, but there was only a single spike of cartilage left on one side as it was completely shot!! Ended up with an op at age 19 to smooth the joint out and reduce the locking.

Other pains in hips and knees started around 17-18, and I got sent to a rheumatologist. Nothing specific found & told to go home with growing pains. I'd eventually grow out of them...

GP kept an eye on my bloods as the problems didn't go away & they eventually sent me to a different as my blood markers (don't know what ones) were consistently high around 10 with showed infection. They tried me on penicillin for 2 years to clear it - failed. Tried me on quinine tablets - failed. Diagnosed hypermobile - could have told them that myself as my arms & legs can bend at elbow & knee the wrong way. He advised that I might want to get myself pregnant as symptoms could reduce or even disappear during pregnancy - great for a 20 yr old that didn't want kids! Diagnosis there was 'palindromic rheumatoid arthritis' as the problems come & go & they can't find any specific issues. They eventually gave up on me....

Problems persisted as I got older, but ended up with a really bad back in early 30s. Cutting an 18 month saga of physios that made it worse & chiropractors that gave brief relief, I eventually got to a consultant privately....Ruptured L4-L5 disc, completely numb left leg & a discectomy. Diagnosed arthritis in the spine, but now able to walk again, but persistent nerve pain from this so been on gabapentin ever since (amytrip & me disn't get on well...). Also having the same issue in my neck now, but at a lesser degree. Also have a disease on the discs where the surface is starting to de-laminate and that causes me pain as well.

General aches & pains attributed to the palindromic RA got worse & I went back to GP - new one as I had moved. She started asking about other stuff - tummy, sleeping, clumsiness, weepiness, and suggested it might be FM. Did some more blood tests - the previous marker at 10 was now around 40!! Referred to consultant & now finally after a many x-rays and tests, been told that the only arthritis I have is actually in my spine, my other joints don't show arthritis, but I do have FM. Now starting the acceptance process.... Sometimes I think that RA would have been better - people understand that causes problems & can handle it & understand what's happening - they can't with FM... they just don't get it. Also, with RA, I felt there was light at the end of the tunnel.... with FM, it doesn't feel that way & I'm just going to be suffering with this level of pain fro the rest of my life, juggling between 15-20 tablets a day & still hurting.... Don't know how to cope with all of that and still be able to keep working full time in a high stress job, with a huge mortgage & no chance to reduce hours...
UKFM Member

Re: Newbie

Postby ribbons » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 pm

hello and welcome, sounds like you have had a terrible time :hugs:
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave: :wave:

Sorry to hear what you've been thru over time :hugs: :hugs: Hopefully now you've found us, going thru the acceptance process will be a less bumpy ride for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There is a lot of info and advice on here, so hopefully you'll find some helpful tips and ideas. We also try to support each other as we all understand how this condition makes you feel.

Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll see if we can come up with an answer for you :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Hi and :welcome: to the forum :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm

:welcome: to the forum :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby 6611160 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks everyone!!
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello