Just to say hello and introduce myself

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just to say hello and introduce myself

Postby AlisonBarlow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 am

Hi, I'm Alison I'm 41 years old and a mother of 2 teenage boys, one in college and one at university, I am getting married again this coming June to a man who actually understands whatI go through and is very supportive. I am lucky that my boys and my fiance are very understanding and forgiving if things don't get done around the house, and they are all more than willing to help out, even to the point of taking off my shoes on my bad days.

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome in September 2003, but was only diagnosed with Fibro last month. It is so difficult to distinguish the symptoms of one from the other. I have finally got my medication sorted I think, I take Sertraline for depression, tramadol, ibuprofen, gabapentin and paracetamol for pain and azathioprine and omeprazole. One thing I am still struggling with is a sleep problem, one night I can sleep a full 12 hours and another I don't sleep at all.

I am lucky in that I am still able to work, although it is only 16 hours a week and how much longer I will be able to carry on I don't know. Heavens knows what I will do financially if I have to give up work, I've read so many horror stories of people trying to claim DLA, that it scares me!

I thank you all for this site and for contributing, it feels good to know I am not alone and have somewhere to share my experiences and frustrations, my poor fiance has taken so many rants from me I am sure he must get sick of hearing it!
AlisonBarlow
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just to say hello and introduce myself

Postby buxbunny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 am

Hi. Let me be first to welcome you and congratulations.
We are more than happy to be on recieving end here.
There's lots of information floating about most usefull are sticky and even topics on what to do to increase chances to getting DLA but hopefully wont come to that.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am

:welcome: to the forum Alison :wave: :wave:

There is a lot of info and advice on here with lots of useful suggestions, hopefully there will be some helpful tips for you. There is a lot of support as well, as FM brings a lot of baggage with it when it decides to move in :facepalm: :facepalm:

It is difficult to distinguish between the pain and things when you have several conditions, esp when there are a lot of overlapping symptoms between them. Hopefully tho, as you learn how your FM affects you, being able to tell the difference will become a little easier for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

For the sleep side of things, quite a lot of FMers find that amitriptyline can help them. It's an old style anti depressant that has been found to help with the sleep and also pain side of things. It might be an idea to see your GP and see if it is suitable for you.

Anything you want to know, just ask and we'll see how we can help you with it :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:51 pm

:welcome: to the forum Alison :xmaswave1: :xmasdance1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi Alison and :welcome: to the forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby ribbons » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:49 pm

hello and welcome x
ribbons
UKFM Member

Return to Where to Say Hello