Newly diagnosed with FM

Introduce yourself and find fellow sufferers in your area or who share the same interests.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Newly diagnosed with FM

Postby Matty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here after a terrible year of pain, I finally got a diagnosis just before Christmas. I have both FM and also Psoriatic Arthritis.

I'm 27 and currently serving in the Airforce but I maybe forced to leave early now and have been told I cannot extend my current length of service because I now have these conditions.

I was in a car accident in January 2011, stationary waiting to go on to a roundabout when a car hit me from behind with some force. I was treated for whiplash and concussion and had a few weeks off work and then light duties. Ever since then I have been to the doctors every other week with so many different issues, my hearing has got worse, my eye sight has got really bad too, lots of pains in my lower back, around my hips/waist, neck, hands, knees and other places too. No energy, trouble sleeping etc, the usual FM kinda things. They had just given me paracetamol and lots of physiotherapy. Non of which helped, possibly making things worse.

I've been off work for nearly 3 months now and today they have made me non effective so that I come under another units control. I am set to leave in September anyway but I have a feeling they might ask me to leave before hand, the other option is to try and get me fit enough to stay in before September. Is that possible in a short space of time with rehab? I've got lots of un answered questions that not many people seem to be able to help with. I will have done 9 years service when I leave in September.

I am due to start a pain management plan next Tuesday and I believe they are starting me on sulfasalazine, has anyone taken this before? This might just be for the phoratic arthritis but I'm not sure till I ask next week. Since the doctors finally realised something was wrong they have tried lots of medicines, diazepam, amitriptyline, prednisolone, ibuprofen, all sorts of pain killers. The prednisolone was the only one that made me better, but that was only a 3 week trial I was told.

The future is a bit clouded for me right now, as work can't give me any answers as to what is happening with me. The only thing I know is come September I won't have an income any longer. And I'm a bit unsure I could carry on employment in an engineering role anymore with how things are so I'm a little bit concerned about that too. Has anyone else been in a similar situation at all?

Due to the car accident not being my fault I have had to file a compensation claim, but I've never done this before so I don't really know what to do or what I need to look for. Can anyone offer any advice on this matter? I have no idea what kind of sum I should be looking for.

If anyone has any information or helpful advice I'd be very grateful,

Thanks,
Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Re: Newly diagnosed with FM

Postby denys » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi Matt you really need some advice from the RAF's welfare services they should be able to help you with the claim and also make sure you are getting all the help you need with the effects of your 2 conditions.

Unfortuantley no-one knows what this condition will bring and in answer to how long it might last, is how long is a piece of string. It may go into remission with the right treatment and let you live perfectly normally for years, but those stories seem few and far between, worst case you may become bedridden again not so common the truth of it is it will probably be somewhere between the two.

Dont think of it as being the end but rather the start of something new, yes perhaps you may have to change direction and learn to take another path but that can be a good thing.

I'm really sorry there isnt more definite answers but thats FM. If you get the right advice (you can always speak to Brian Barr on here for advice as well) maybe the compensation you recieve from the accident will help :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Matty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi Densy,

Thanks for the reply.

The RAF hasn't been very good with things so far tbh, I have one of the welfare support people coming to see me in a few weeks, so again I'll ask her some more questions and see how they can help.

Am I right in thinking some days are good and some are bad? There seems to be little control over things at the minute, like how to make it good or less painful.

Cheers,
Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Newly diagnosed with FM

Postby andy2210 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi matt
Fm effects us all differently and non of us know when we will have good days or bad ones.all I can say is take one day at a time and keep ya chin up mate there's one thing for sure if it's support or a rant then you come to the right place :)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of Google Maps linky
andy2210
UKFM Member

Postby Matty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks Andy,

Its a bit hard to get my head round at first. Hopefully in a few weeks things might be getting a bit better once treatment starts.

Are many people able to work with this? If so what kind of jobs do you all do?

Cheers,
Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:20 am

:welcome: to the forum Matt :wave: :wave:

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going thru trying to get answers and relief from things. Unfortunately, where FM is concerned, nothing is straight forward :facepalm: :facepalm:

Reading thru the different meds you've been trying, the one that stood out was prednisolone. From what I know of the med, it tends to be used in auto immune type conditions. It seems strange that, after a 3 week trial where you found it to be helpful, it would be stopped. The little knowledge I have applies more to doglets that us humans, altho it is the same med that is used for both. This linky has info about different meds used to try and manage FM http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalgia/Pages/Treatment.aspx Altho you've said about trying different things, it might be worth a look in case there is something you haven't sampled yet.

There are people who can still work even tho they have FM. Under the Equalities Act, employers are legally obliged to make "reasonable adjustments" for someone with a disability/health issues to make their working environment as suitable for them to work in as it can.

Do you have any sort of staff representation/union rep equivalent in the RAF?? If so, they should be able to advise/help you with your work situation. And as Denys has already said, for any info you want/need concerning the car accident, we have the section where you can ask Brian Barr for advice. He deals with a lot of cases where FM is involved so could be of help to you if you need it.

I think I've waffled on at you for long enough now, so time for me to leave you peace. Anything you want to know about, just ask about it and we'll see how we can help you with it :wave: :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Matt

There is lots to take in, fibro is life changing but like the others have said just take it day by day.

Try to avoid stress as fibro will get worse. There are so many symptoms to fibro, some people have it mild and can carry on working and living their normal lives where as others have many symptoms and can be bedbound/housebound, everyone is different.

Have a good read around the forum and try to take in some info so you know what you are up against.

I was surprised to hear you were given prednisolone for fibro as they are steroids, they are not normally used to treat fibro. :dunno:

Hope you find the forum a big help. :wave:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby animalhouse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 pm

hi matt,

i was in a similar situation, feb 2010 someone ran into me head out when they skidded across the road in snow. nothing broken but whiplash, chronic pain everywhere including wrists elading to diaagnosis of fibro summer 2010.

i was training to be a student nurse at the time so was not able to go back as have limited mobility now walk with a stick as have painful lower back, hips and down legs to soles of feet and wrist pain.

staight away i was allocated and rang by a solicitor. they have organised private rehumy apponitments for me and treatment of physio. i have also had hdryotherapy and physio by my own doctors when the private treatment ran out.

2 years down the line i have fought and won appeal for esa, fought for dla and got lrc and still appealing for mobility element and at sometime i assuem there will be a court case regarding the accident - but that doesn't bother me as i just take one day at a time depending on how i feel.

i have gone from beeing mainly bedridden to having some imrpovement but it has taken nearlly 2 years and i thing it was swimming/hydrotherapy that has helped but i still rest every afternnnon, have limited walking and do not do any housework. my only pleasure in life seems to be a ride out to the supermarket by myself or mainly with oh (as this is the only place that is flat) but this seems to be constatnly used against me battling benefits and surveillance from the solicitors of othe rparty.

i have paid for osteotherapy, weekly, massaging weekly have given up my job and my oh has gone down to 3 days per week after taking off 6 months post accident and people still seem to accuse you of lieing. (sorry bad week @@@@@@)

so take care and be prepared for a fight from every direction - my oh has done everything for our family and me more or less including fighting benefiting/solicitors so don;t know what i would have done without him. but i don;t tell him taht and this is causing so many arguuments.........

good luck.

pm me if you want any advice/info.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Matty » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to try and get myself back into a routine getting up, eating a really healthy breakfast and trying to prepare myself for sleep, I don't get much sleep and its never a quality 8hours or more straight through sleep.

I will have a look at the Solicitor advice on here thank you.

Matt
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Newly diagnosed with FM

Postby Lyssie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Hiya Matt I'm so sorry to hear of the problems you are having :( hugs to you. Lyssie :)
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Postby Matty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey Lyssie,

Thanks for the message :) Hope your ok.

I think I'm going to try and look into a few of the massage treatments and hydrotherapy in the coming weeks. I just seem to be seizing up more and more, even though I am trying to stay as active as possible.

Will let you all know how I get on.

Matt x
Matty
UKFM Newbie

Return to Where to Say Hello